07 Evinrude 225hp - FlyWheel and stator

StereoGuy316

Recruit
Hello all, I'm new to this forum. After troubleshooting the 07 225 ETec on my 24' center console (that wouldn't start) I found that the magnets on the inside of my flywheel had deteriorated and rusted to the point that most of them had fallen off. My first hint was the clumps of rusted magnet that I was finding all over the motor. Anyway after breaking 2 pullers I finally got the flywheel off. From all of the research I've done there is no way to re-attach new magnets to "this" flywheel so I have to buy a new one at almost $700 (seams a lot for a hunk of metal with no moving parts but what choice do I have). My question to you all is about the stator. How do I know if it's been damaged? I can see some scratch marks on the contacts from all the loose rusted magnet pieces but I'm not sure if it needs to be replaced too. I'm just trying to keep my repair cost down here; the stator is another $350. From now on I'll be rinsing down the engine under the cowling too.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Check with a good boat shop to see if there is a kit available to install new magnets !---E-bay is another good scource for these.

daselbee

Commander
There isa known problem with the water pressure relief valve that is located directly behind the flywheel on these engines. they leak and blow water up under the flywheel. likely this is the source of your problem. double check with Evinrude dealer as you might have a warranty claim.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Have your dealer call the Evinrude dealer support line to see if they may participate is helping you with the costs of new parts. There was a recall on certain, but not all, pressure relief valves that your dealer should have told you about if you had an affected engine.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Or call BRP customer service at 1-262-884-5993 and see what they have to say about it. Those magnets shouldn't have broke.