V4 and V6 gearcase interchanges.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I swapped a rebuilt lower unit from my 1995 V4 115 (20" shaft) ocean runner for midsection and lower unit from a 1996 25" v4 115 ocean runner.

I had planned to rebuild my old 115 ocean runner power head and install it on the taller midsection and lower unit to have a 25: model for a boat project I have.

in the mean time my 20 " 115 hp V4 ocean runner, on my boat now, had the prop shaft bent. so I am thinking of pulling the lower unit and just replacing with the spare I have sitting. but I can see...the lower unit is a V6 gearcase!! even though it was on the 115hp V4!! ( now I know the 25" shaft version came with the bigger gearcase.

I see the prop shaft has 15 spines instead of the usual 13 on the regular v4's, plus the dia of the casting is LARGER

soo my question is.....will this unit FIT on to the 20" midsection of my v4?......OTHER than the long driveshaft and shift rod of course!!!!!!

then....will the driveshaft and shift rod be the ON:LY things I need to change?? and..... I am thinking all the v4 115 powerheads have the same crank opening to accept the driveshaft, if only to facilitate manufacturing.

hope to hear from someone

bob

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
.....will this unit FIT on to the 20" midsection of my v4?......OTHER than the long driveshaft and shift rod of course!!!!!!
Yes as it came off a V4 since they are 2;25:1 ratio, they also came in the V-6 housing for the V-4.

....will the driveshaft and shift rod be the ON:LY things I need to change??
yes