1978 75 hp johnson stinger

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK here is my wo questions ( maybe 3 ) I have a chance to buy this motor but it has no wire harness from motor to dash and i cant find any on line, Can i splice in to wires on motor and run wires up front to the dash? cant find a control for throttle and gear shift either will any other kind work? and when i turn fly wheel by hand how hard should it be to turn i cant do compression test where it is but PO did say it ran when of boat last year. Model number is 75ELR78C .

Thanks to all in advance.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Any OMC control from 1973 to 1995 will work.----Must have the big red plug.-----Lots of those around.

eavega

Lieutenant
On a separate note, a 1978 motor that you can't start, measure compression, doesn't include controls? You'd better be getting a screaming deal. Without a spark and compression test, you may have a parts motor, if that.

By the way, every motor ran last year...

-E

64osby

Admiral
Looks like controls on ebay would cost about $150 and up. Many of those need repair or new cables also.

Make sure you measure what length cables you need and get a wire harness that is long enough.

I'd be looking to pay no more than $100 for a motor like you described.

As Racerone stated - Big Red Plug

Last edited:

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks guys thats what i was thinking, just a part motor till it runs.... but the po does work with son n law so can kinda take his word but still dont no it runs good.... and if i could do a compression test and spark test how would i go about it with no wire harness or controls? i do have a spark tester but what is the safe way? how do i lube engine? motor is inside so got to watch out for gas fumes....any ideas??

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Compression testers are about $10 for starting prices.
You should also remove the sparkplugs, check colour and spin the flywheel to make sure there is no binding anywhere.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
You should be able to start without controls, just jump the solenoid and use the throttle controls at the engine- dont use the carburettor linkages, use the linkage where the control from the engine would connect too.
Post a video of it idling so its sound is clear if you want people to check its running for evidence of a knock/miss

racerone

Supreme Mariner
With no controls hooked up you can pull the motor over with a rope for a compression test or jump to the starter motor with booster cables.----With no controls or even a battery hooked up you should see spark on the plugs when pulling it over with a rope.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Use a known strong battery and automotive jumper cables, direct to the starter/ground.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
\ how do i lube engine? motor is inside so got to watch out for gas fumes....any ideas??
Spray some two stroke oil into the cylinders and slowly turn the flywheel, you really need to spay some down the carb throats too to get the bearings lubed etc.
You should put some petrol in the mix too to thin it up enough so it sprays out and blows into the areas its needed,
Ideally you would fill the fuel line and carbs and spray the cylinders before spinning.

Motor inside- thats luxury- just keep a window open for a draft out another window