Help Finding Electric Start Conversion Kit for Johnson Outboard Jet

mrhookup

Recruit
Hello all, first time poster looking for some help. I recently purchased a flat bottom river boat with a 2001 30hp Johnson jet outboard on the back, model #J30JRSIE. This is a tiller steer, pull start motor. I've spoken with a couple local dealers about converting it to electric start but they've told me that the electric start conversion kit for this particular motor is no longer made and they couldn't find any in stock in the online dealer network. I'm desperate for some help on finding one of these kits even if it means ripping it off a blown motor. If anyone knows of a good place to check for this or has a suggestion on how to find these parts I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That starter and bracket was the same from about 1980 to your motor.----Lots of used ones around try dealers and E-bay too.---Your location is?

64osby

Admiral
You might try Hildebrands's Marine & Snowmoble Salvage in Coldwater MI.

Have never been there, but a call might get some idea's if they would have it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Visited just once.--They have lots of stuff but appear to want 1/2 of new for used parts.---I shop carefully and if I have to pay say $200 for an electric start like the original poster, I can get a complete motor !!----There is a kit on E-bay for $275 now and it includes the battery cables.

64osby

Admiral
Good to know. They are about 90 miles from me but have never ventured there. Doesn't sound like it's worth the drive.

As the Admiral states I'm not cheap, I'm frugal. Bottomfeeder parts work for me.:D

mrhookup

Recruit
Visited just once.--They have lots of stuff but appear to want 1/2 of new for used parts.---I shop carefully and if I have to pay say $200 for an electric start like the original poster, I can get a complete motor !!----There is a kit on E-bay for $275 now and it includes the battery cables.

Do you have a link for this? Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Try the salvage yards in the top secret files at the beginning of this forum.