buying a used engine how to find out how many miles / warranty work etc

RK

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am considering buying a 2000 200 hp FICHT engine. Is there a diagnostic cable and device that a consumer can connect to get basic information from an engine like this? It is not really feasible to bring a lic mechanic. Thanks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You can buy the software off Ebay to check motor. Have the compression tested and if possible test it on a boat. Some parts BRP do not support anymore such as injector and they are about $600 new if needed replaced. Also if seller is asking over $3000 that's way to much for that model motor imo...

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Bombardier also does not repair these old computers when they have problems. They have to go to a private shop in Florida.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The 2000 Fichts were the first that came out as a Bombardier product. The 1999 and older OMC Fichts were the big problems engines, esp the 60 degree V6 looper engines. We've not seen many problems with these larger 90 degree big block looper Fichts. We have many customers still running these engines. Unfortunately, the Ficht nameplate still suffers from a pretty bad reputation so it's really hard to resell them. If you call the Bombardier consumer hotline and give them the serial number, they may be able to tell you the warranty/recall history: 262-884-5993

RK

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks guys sorry for not replying until now. I did end up buying the engine and as it turns out it's a 2001 so that's better from what I read. It has the BRP stickers on the cowling. Did a compression check all 6 had 130lbs!! Great! Ran like a clock. He already replaced the EMM. I really have to learn about all this injector code / numbers I keep hearing referenced in these forums. Any details from the beginning would be appreciated. I always feels like I'm hearing the conversation 1/2 way through already. These injectors can't just be replaced without some code? I can retrieve this code with the eBay software? wow... sound like a pita Thanks a lot to whoever came up with that.

RK

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is the problem that if you replace an injector you need to know IT"S codes or is the problem you need to know your Old injector codes or both? Thx

RK

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Also.. I don't care if it costs me a grand. I want to carry a useable replacement EMM on board. I go way out away from port I do not want to have to always wonder if I might get stranded. How would I go about doing that? Will it have to be programed with my engines parameters and injector codes?

ps sorry I'm probably posted in the wrong category

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Any changed computer will have to be setup with the injectors. The problem with these early ficht injectors is that they are not all calibrated identically when made at the factory. That calibration determines the unique spray capabilites of that injector. So, when you install them, you have to tell the computer just which injector is going in which position so that it compensates for each of them-so that all of them spray identically when running. That's why you need to calibration software. Contact your local Evinrude dealer-they sell the software you need. It will be difficult to find a spare computer. They are always replaced on a direct exchange basis only. Same for repairing them. You may find one used off a scrapped engine.

RK

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Any changed computer will have to be setup with the injectors. The problem with these early ficht injectors is that they are not all calibrated identically when made at the factory. That calibration determines the unique spray capabilites of that injector. So, when you install them, you have to tell the computer just which injector is going in which position so that it compensates for each of them-so that all of them spray identically when running. That's why you need to calibration software. Contact your local Evinrude dealer-they sell the software you need. It will be difficult to find a spare computer. They are always replaced on a direct exchange basis only. Same for repairing them. You may find one used off a scrapped engine.

Thanks for the explanation! I did order the diagnostic cable and software. Here's what I'm hoping I can do. When I get the cable and software there must be a way to record / save all the files on my current EMM right? Then when I get a new / used EMM couldn't I then copy over all the files on it, including of course the injector coefficients, there by making myself a replacement EMM? Would that work?

I would also like to have one spare injector. My engine is a 2001. It looks like by 2002 the injectors started coming with that bar code which can be used to get the coefficients correct? Is there really a physicle difference between a 2001 FICHT Injector and 2002 FICHT injector? If not it would seem the best route would be to look to find a good used 2002 injector of which I can get the codes. In the event I have an injector go bad I can replace it with my spare and use the diagnostic cable and software to write the new injector codes to the EMM.

Does this all seem plausible?

My main rational to doing all this is two fold. A I don't want to always wonder if I'm gonna get stranded thus taking the fun out of boating. And B I do a lot of long distance boating on lake Huron in Michigan as well in Ontario all the way into Georgian bay where my family has a cottage. There are places I would really be hard pressed to get help. Not to mention if I did I would probably need to take on a second mortgage just to get it running again :[

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!