Johnson 48 Horsepower Identification

Jaffi

Cadet
I just purchased a 1992 Lancer 1569 Bass Boat that has a 48 hp SPL Johnson motor on it, and I am trying to determine how old the motor is and if it is a good motor or do I need to get something else. The seller had no idea how old it is. The model number is J48ESLENB and Serial # is G03093699. The motor starts up and seems to run good although I have not had a chance to launch the boat yet and give it a good try. Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The factory sold some their 50 hp Johnsons as a "low cost" engine. Sold by the factory without power trim (an option) no voltage regulator (rectifier only) and no VRO oil/fuel mixing pump. (you will have to premix it.) They badged it as a "48" to differentiate it in the sales channels from the higher priced 50. Really, it's the 50 with a different cowl. A marketing gimmick. A strong engine, been around for years and years. Many made and still running today. Parts readily available. If it's been cared for over the years, it should give you many smiles going forward.

Jaffi

Cadet
Thank you for your response 64osby and emdsapmgr this information really helps me out.