Johnson 70 HP [Evinrude 50 HP] Tiller Arm Wiring

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello!

I am trying to install a tiller arm steering system on my Johnson outboard, but I have a few questions on some of the wiring. The engine is a 1975 70 HP Johnson (70ESL75B). The tiller handle is from a 1985 Evinrude 50 HP tiller steer motor. I have the tiller handle mounted, the shift connected, and the throttle ready - all I need to do now is finish the wiring. I have six total wires - I need to figure out how I match my wires with the OMC color coded wiring.

From the handle, the starter has two wires coming from it:
yellow/red
solid red

The Choke/primer - two wires:
white/purple
solid red to

Kill switch - two wires:
Two different solid black wires

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have no knowledge of your particular engine. BUT, you could search on the net for your engine model number and see a total breakdown of the options and wiring diagram(s) for your engine to help along. I do that all the time so see how things are assembled and wired. Another suggestion is to purchase the original "Factory" shop manual. I guarantee you everything will be in that manual you could ever want to know. But make certain it is the factory engine specific shop manual and not some after market manual that tries to cover every engine. There IS a huge difference between the two... JMHO!

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the response! I've searched everywhere I can think of online - I feel as if I have exhausted my capability to figure this out on my own.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Lets start at the beginning:

What year and model 50hp Johnson?

This motor was offered in a tiller version, this just isn't it?

Last edited:

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you for the response! The model number is 70ESL75B the engine is a 1975 Johnson 70. They did not make this engine as a tiller steer from the factory. I have purchased a 1985 50 HP Evinrude tiller handle. ( *note - this conversion has been successfully completed by others.)

I have the throttle hooked up and ready. The handle is mounted successfully. The shift mechanism is mounted and functioning. All that is left is electrical - I am six wires away from being complete. This is something that I hope someone smarter than I am can help guide me to finish this up.

ANY guidance is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
if you havent read the post on this page ( 1987 evenrude wiring diagram) by bud in fla you might read it.hope this helps:joyous:

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

I have read that link - not quite relevant as I have separate push button start on the handle, separate push button kill, and separate push button prime, each with two wires. I need to figure out how I can connect my wires on my handle, to the corresponding color codes on the attached (see uploaded photo - this is what I need to find what colors I need to match with what) OMC electrical plug. My wires:

Starter - two wires
yellow/red
solid red

The Choke/primer - two wires:
white/purple
solid red

Kill switch - two solid black wires.

Attachments

• photo214614.png
    photo214614.png
    165.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tblshur

i have not worked on tiller handle , therefore i would like for someone to confirm ,. so red from starter push button goes to red/blue on motor cable, yellow/red on starter push button goes to yellow/red on motor cable, primer push button red goes to same red/blue 12v pos as starter push button , white/purple from primer pb goes to white/blue on motor cable ,1 black from stop button goes to yellow/black on motor cable , 1 black from stop button goes to black in motor cable or engine ground .hope this helps.:joyous:

tblshur

fishingfrenzy the one thing i dont understand is, the 70hp does not have a neutral switch. which would prevent one from starting the motor in gear. i hope someone will address this issue.you may need to add a switch, to motor shift linkage. wire switch into red/blue motor cable. again hope this helps.:joyous:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW a 70HP tiller steer setup. I didn't know you could actually setup that big a HP engine for tiller steering. Must be a handful when WOT... So it seems you are trying to interface the 50HP tiller steering tiller arm to your 70HP engine and needs the corresponding wire to wire connections if I'm reading this correctly. How about looking at both engine wiring diagrams and making the cross connections from them. There are some questions to liability if somebody on here suggests something and there happens to be an issue later on... While we like to help out everybody, this isn't a standard setup but a makeshift conversion that could be problems down the road. If this was nothing more then a legal manufactured optional setup, then the proper wiring diagram would be listed on the manufactory's site for this! Could it be successfully wired up, yes! I know I could wire it properly, but is it a legal or even a good idea? I simply honestly don't know!

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have not worked on tiller handle , therefore i would like for someone to confirm ,. so red from starter push button goes to red/blue on motor cable, yellow/red on starter push button goes to yellow/red on motor cable, primer push button red goes to same red/blue 12v pos as starter push button , white/purple from primer pb goes to white/blue on motor cable ,1 black from stop button goes to yellow/black on motor cable , 1 black from stop button goes to black in motor cable or engine ground .hope this helps.:joyous:

This was my assumption also. I will do a bit of testing over the weekend - will keep you posted!

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
WOW a 70HP tiller steer setup. I didn't know you could actually setup that big a HP engine for tiller steering. Must be a handful when WOT... So it seems you are trying to interface the 50HP tiller steering tiller arm to your 70HP engine and needs the corresponding wire to wire connections if I'm reading this correctly. How about looking at both engine wiring diagrams and making the cross connections from them. There are some questions to liability if somebody on here suggests something and there happens to be an issue later on... While we like to help out everybody, this isn't a standard setup but a makeshift conversion that could be problems down the road. If this was nothing more then a legal manufactured optional setup, then the proper wiring diagram would be listed on the manufactory's site for this! Could it be successfully wired up, yes! I know I could wire it properly, but is it a legal or even a good idea? I simply honestly don't know!

They sell 175 + tillers with steering assist. Many use up to 115 HP without any type of steering assist. I, fishingfrenzy, absolve any liability for posters on this particular topic for any recommendations given from repercussions due to my recklessness :) .

Kidding aside, this conversion has been done a few times in the past, particularly for Johnson 70 engines of various years. Many use Etec handles and retrofit. I, however, have an older handle with this different wiring schematic which has been giving me grief. I believe I have a plan to finish this project up and go boating.

tblshur - not sure what you mean on the neutral? I do have a neutral shift setting, your concern would be that I would be able to start the motor in R or F, correct?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
fishingfrenzy, I was just making a statement about possible issues with making one part of an engine work for a completely different engine. Liability IS always an issue. As far as a neutral switch, YES, you have to install a neutral switch that only allows the operator to crank the engine ONLY when it is the neutral position. Bypassing that serious option thinking YOU don't need it or will remember, is not an option...at least in my opinion. One time forgetting will cause some serious issues and even could damage property or maim/kill somebody. So install a neutral safety switch before boating.

tblshur

fishingfrenzy i beg you to install a neutral start safety switch or take the boat motor to a certified mechanic have him install it and check the wiring. i am on fixed income, but if you cant afford it i will be willing to pay for it, that is how serious the switch is, ididnt intend to help develop a hazard.:facepalm: gm280 thank you for bringing me to todays liabilitys . im sorry if i have tainted this forum, i have gotton so much help from the people on the forum. i just want to help if i can not create problems for the forum or myself. i would delete my post if i could, sorry again , will try to do better:stupid:

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Let me back up. On the handle, the shift lever MUST be in neutral for the start button to be depressed. This neutral safety device is already built into the system. The start button is on the tiller shift (F - N - R) When in neutral, the start button is aligned with a secondary start switch on the handle. When in F or R, the buttons DO NOT align, and you are unable to start the engine.

I hope this clears up any concerns.

Now, let's get back to work on the project!!

Last edited:

tblshur

thank you fishingfrenzy for clearing that up , good luck with your project.:positive::usa:

AlTn

Commander
if you'll google..Leeroy's Ramblings...OMC Johnson/Evinrude related articles....the next to last article deals with his converting a 70 hp. to tiller operation....may be of some help