1987 Evinrude wiring diagram?

Bud in Fla

Recruit
I'm brand new here - kinda dumb but wanting to learn. I made a living as a carpenter/cabinet maker before I had to go to a power company when money got tight. I wound up as a nuke pipe welder/machinist/turbine millwright before I went into outage planning.

I didn't see anything on this specific engine when I did a search so here it is - I just picked up a 1988 pontoon boat cheap. It's a 16 ft Fiesta that I'm trying to get ready for summer. I've already figured out that the 3/8-16 304 stainless bolts weren't the proper pontoons plugs....the 2 pounds of rubber tape over the drain plugs is why I got curious and checked to see why the rubber tape was there. I've got nylon plugs ready to go as soon as I re-tap the holes to a pipe thread.

What I found today was I need a wiring diagram. This pontoon has a 1987 Evinrude 30 hp engine. Those don't even show on the charts I've seen. I jumped the starter and it works but I get nothing with the ignition switch. The original ignition switch on the throttle control has been bypassed and the "new" switch is in the homemade steering console. Looks like the a couple of other things are jumped off of the hot wire - using coax cable. Yep! The center wire (copper clad steel) is one leg and the shielding wire is used as the other leg.

I've already decided to snatch it all out and start over using a wiring diagram and real wire. Anyone know where I can find one for this engine? The model number is E30ELCUB. Thanks for any info!

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The above wiring diagrams show for the 1983,1984 25-35 hp engines. Could be close to yours, but probably some discrepancies. Depending on what you are doing, it may be sufficient for repair. If not, you'll have to get your hands on an original factory service manual. Used ones on ebay, likely, or a new on from the original printer: outboardbooks.com

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Bud....

The starter solenoid circuit incorporates a "Safety Switch" that interrupts the circuit if the engine is in gear. There are two setups...........

1 - Solenoid "white" wire from "S" term of ign sw leads to safety switch within remote control box. This interrupts the voltage circuit to the solenoid.
2 - Black wire from ground side of solenoid to safety switch attached to engine's shift linkage. This interrupts the ground circuit.
Your engine could have either setup.

Starter Circuit....
Red 12v line leads via a 20amp fused line to the "B" terminal of the ign sw.
White line leads from the "S" terminal of the ign sw to one of the solenoid's 3/8" nut terminals incorporating the safety sw.
Black ground line leads from the remaining 3/8" solenoid terminal to ground, either directly or via a safety sw,