engine mount problems

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Of course a shop will charge you the max just incase they do break them off. But if they don't, you will still pay as if they did. But every person has to balance the cost verses their abilities. If you do decide to try your self, start with plenty of penetrating oils and allow it to penetrate for a day or so and keep applying it as it seeps in. Then with some direct heat and a slow effort see what happens. Some times you know if the bolt is going to snap before it actually does. If you see the bolt twisting without getting loose it is going to snap. There is a difference between unthreading and simply twisting the head. Try unthreading a little and then retighten it again. And each time just a smidgen more... So go slow and careful... Otherwise get your pocket book out and head to the shop...

Tripp Halbert

Petty Officer 1st Class
Right on man thanks. I will call around and see what they want for the risk. IIf not I'll go for it. Thanks for the adivce, should I heat the bolt or the block around it or both?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Did you by chance check the big nut on the end of the steering shaft to make sure it wasn't loose ??

Tripp Halbert

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes a guy earlier in this thread mentioned that. I replaced the nut and washers on it, got it snug. The motor still was shaking side to side and the steering was firm and not moving at all. Thanks though.

Tripp Halbert

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update:

no more broken bolts after that lower unit incident :). power head removed, mid section disassembled. I have pulled the rubber mount assembly (part # 0436394) with the two bolts off. it seems that even if i hadnt destroyed the bolts threads that i would have still lost this battle. Someone mentioned earlier in this post that the rubber mount would probably be worn out as well as the rusted nuts. You sir, were correct. The rubber piece was dry rotted. So i am replacing all of it for around $140.......these golden bolts cost 17 each!!!!! Anyways, for future reference to anyone else who has this problem, be ready to have your motor in about 6 pieces and be sure to take your time with all these bolts because there were many that wanted to snap on me. Crossing my fingers that i get everything back together smoothly and get back in the water soon. Thanks guys.

nwcove

Admiral
thats good news ! if i can give you one piece of advice tho, back in post 12, you probably lost a resource that out weighs any manual, the info that was given/discussed is as good as it gets. soak it up. (jmo and no offense intended) .

nwcove

Admiral
sorry....your response to post 11. ( not good at numbers! lol)

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Tripp
Did you use heat on the bolts or just oil?
Is it a saltie?
I hate removing those bolts

Tripp Halbert

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes I used heat on some. Oil on all. It was SALTY as crap! White dust shooting out after the screws!!