1977 johnson 115hp Ignition switch

kylake

Cadet
Got a 17' bass boat with 1977 johnson 115hp .previous owner broke key off in Ignition.would this somehow make motor not start.had same motor years ago it had a lanyard kill switch but forgot were it was.By any chance is it at end of Ignition switch ?Because on side mount control on this boat I can not find kill switch.or can it be there is not one on this boat? Thanks for any help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
1977 Controls did not have lanyard kill switches. However, I seem to recall an accessory one that actually turned the key off. But don't remember the details on that one.

EDIT: Yep, found it. Part number 173566 fits 1973 through 1978. It was an accessory kit, did not come with the controls. Yanking the lanyard out turned the key off.

Last edited:

wrench 3

Commander
I can't tell from your post if the switch won't turn on with the broken key in it, or will the switch turn on but it still won't start?
If the latter is true, the broken key shouldn't be the problem.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The original question is confusing. It was asked if the broken key could keep the motor from starting. Well hey, if you can't turn the key, of course you can't start it. I don't think we are reading the whole story here.