1959 10hp Sportwin resurrection issues

AlTn

Commander
cold start... engine in neutral.. choke pulled full on...throttle fully advanced....it should start with a high idle that you'll have to reduce with the throttle handle...the choke will probably have to be cut back to half or fully off when it starts...check that when your carb roller and the timing mark on the timing cam are aligned, the throttle butterfly should just begin to open...at wot < wide open throttle > the carb roller should be on the highest point of the throttle cam while the carb butterfly is perfectly horizontal in the carb throat < link and sync >

64osby

Admiral
^^^ What AITn stated is perfect.

Where is your tank in relation to the motor. On one of mine the pump was a little weak. The motor ran much better when the tank was raised up off the ground. At a height that would reflect how it is in a boat.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There may be a wee plastic detent on the choke mechamism.----You pull the choke on and if that detent is bad it does not stay fully closed.----Used to replace these all the time.----Part is still available new as well.

ianmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm waiting on a couple of parts to put the tiller arm back together. I think i have the engine pretty well synced. Butterfly opens just as the scribe mark is met. My choke does not hold, and now referencing the parts diagram, I see that the plastic detent is in need of replacement. I have a temp idle screw(hardware bolt) as the idle screw was frozen and i couldn't remove it without drilling out the threads. I'm cobbling together a working engine slowly!