Motor Flusher for older OMC

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone know if you can get a motor flusher for a 1965 Evinrude 18hp? These motors have the water pick up on the exhaust port. Forums great I'm referring it to all my family and friends. thanks, Ryan

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Motor Flusher for older OMC

not on exhaust port, on side of leg, at bottom, there is a plate on the port side that should have 2 or 3 small holes. i have a 1969 6hp, thats how mine is atleast. i bought the cheepest regular muff style ones and cut them to fit... hope this helps

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was just looking at various motor flushers and it appears as though the Tempo 917TFA would work. However it states that its only for 25Hp and up. Correct me if I'm wrong but dont the 18,20, and 25 all have the same lower units. Cant imagine why this wouldnt work. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks Ryan

Paul Moir

Admiral

Yeah, I think they're talking about the 51-55 25hp (35.7CID), which is the same LU as the later 28hp, which is pretty much the same as the 35hp and 40hp.<br />Rather than the '69 and up 25hp, which is a 22.0CID, same as your 18hp.<br />916TFC should work I think, but it's been discontinued for a few years.

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Paul, Thanks for the reply I saw a 916TFC at the Iboats Mega Mall. It looks like its in stock. Is there anyway I can tell if this will actually work, the part is around $30 + shipping so I want to be sure its going to work. I was told that the part I needed was possibly 918FAA. Is there some kind of guide? Thanks Again

Paul Moir

Admiral

I'm not better than 75% sure, and I've never found a product guide which is definitive. The only thing I can think of is to contact Tempo directly and ask.<br /><br />Tempo

rolmops

Vice Admiral

On the smaller outboards,the stainless steel cover is about an inch shorter than on the larger ones.I found this out by buying one that is too small for my '57 35 seahorse engine.<br />The one I have is very easily made.<br />You cut an aluminum plate to the size of the cover on the side of the lower unit and drill two holes for the screws.Then drill a third hole where you attach a threaded nipple with a hookup for the hose.It really does not matter if it leaks a bit.All of this for about $5.This beats the $35 tempo version hands down.