1984 35 hp Johnson Starter Issue

Sailor73

Recruit
Just joined the forum and need some input on starter - this is a project engine that is in pretty good shape. The issue is the starter drive assembly will engage the flywheel and then immediately disengage and slide back down the shaft. The starter still spins and sounds quite strong. I removed the starter, cleaned the assembly, oiled and benched tested and received the same results. I took the unit to Auto Zone and they tested the starter and again received the same results but commented that the starter itself was strong and seemed to have had little use. Would appreciate any feed back that might save me the cost of a new starter. Also, suggestion on how to bench test a solenoid with a meter or direct power from a battery??

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Likely the starter bendix is worn or bad?? also spring over bendix is bad /piece missing?? The starter rpm determines how long the bendix stays engaged. engine starts -will kick bendix down! likely weak starter rpm?? or bad spring.- unlikely yet possible?? worn starter drive splines where bendix fits? did u lube the shaft where bendix fits with some lubriplate/white lube?? do so !!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You could also jumper across the starter solenoid and see if that make the starter work. Could be you have a starter solenoid going bad or even a weak battery... Just some other ideas to check and make sure are up to the job...

Sailor73

Recruit
1984 Johnson 35 hp starter issue

Just joined the forum and need some input on starter - this is a project engine that is in pretty good shape. The issue is the starter drive assembly will engage the flywheel and then immediately disengage and slide back down the shaft. The starter still spins and sounds quite strong. I removed the starter, cleaned the assembly, oiled and benched tested and received the same results. I took the unit to Auto Zone and they tested the starter and again received the same results but commented that the starter itself was strong and seemed to have had little use. Would appreciate any feed back that might save me the cost of a new starter. Also, suggestion on how to bench test a solenoid with a meter or direct power from a battery??

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Probably 95% of all starter problems is electrical. Is the battery fully charged? Check all your connections. They must be very clean and tight. Check the lugs very closely for any signs of corrosion. They can corrode inside where you can't see it and cause the problem you are having. If you know how to do a voltage drop test you could check them that way. Another way would be to temporally substitute the cables with jumper cables. If all the cables have been confirmed good, try jumping the starter solenoid. Just because it clicks does NOT mean its good. If you are sure the solenoid is good have your battery load tested, regardless of age. This brings you to the starter itself. Remove it and have it tested by your local auto electric shop. They can rebuild it for you if needed and save you some money. Let us know [/FONT]

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Check your compression and then your spark which should jump a 7/16" open air gap on a tester.

Another thing you could do is pull both plug wires off, crank it over and see what happens.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You've got two posts going here. Please stick to one as it's less confusing.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Agreed, most troubles of that type are caused by poor electrical connections, bad battery, etc. Not to rule out the starter, but check the easy stuff first.

To test the solenoid: Use a voltmeter (multimeter) to do a voltage drop test across it. Touch the red meter lead to the big post on the solenoid that is closest to the battery, and the black lead to the big post closest to the starter. Have a helper attempt to start it while you watch the meter. Should show battery voltage before the start attempt, and zero volts as the starter runs. If any significant voltage shows during the test, the solenoid is bad. If zero or very close to zero, solenoid is good.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I'm not sure how this problem is different from the thread you started two days ago....:confused:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
All one thread now.

Sailor - Welcome aboard. If you can't find a thread you started, click your username at the top of a forum page and click "My recent posts". All your threads and posts are listed.