Advice for a 1974 Evinrude 70 HP

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Shift system uses oil pressure for easiest shifting.-----Driveshaft should be turning to provide that oil pressure.

johnson76244

Cadet
I want to get the correct spark plug for my engine it now has NGK BUHXW-1 but some forums I've read say Q.77JC4 OR L77JC4 if I have a newer ignition system which I don't think I do the coils are the old marine green ones. The motor I have is the 70473M 70 HP and when I look in the manual it states Champion UL77V I know I should go with what the manual says but I also want to get what others have experienced. Thanks.

johnson76244

Cadet
Hey guys just wanted to give an update on my motor. We got it started a fogged for a bit then the motor would barely turn. We had been taking the spark plugs out every so often to do some fogging in the cylinders and this worked unit the engine started not to turn. When this happened it was always after we shut the engine off but kept the water running. This morning the motor is turning by hand nicely so my question is could the water in the cylinders be an exhaust manifold or some sort of gasket leak? We're going to do a compression test on the engine to see if we're still getting good numbers. It was exciting to get the engine to run but sad that water started leaking into the cylinders. For some reason I don't think it's a cracked block just by the way the water gets into the cylinders it seems only when the engine is not running. Could there be too much water flow from the garden hose? We took the lower unit off and hooked the hose straight to the water pipe. Thanks

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Dont turn that pipe on to quick. It might be from a head gasket, or an exhaust gasket, see if you can track down where its coming from by peering in the cylinders and seeing which pistons look steam cleaned.
Also dont turn the hose on but run the engine for about 15 secs. Wait a few minutes and do that again. You want to get all the water out and oil back in that engine or otherwise what is possibly a gasket leak will turn into a full rebuild with corroded bearings

johnson76244

Cadet
Thanks Bosun. For the next question what is the best way to get broken bolt out do I just drill out and go to the next size bolt? I know I'm going to break some and the others will need to be replaced.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
heat and vice grips, loosen tighten loosen until its out is the way i do it, if you keep loosening it the threads wll get full of the gunk and tighten up which is why you loosen then tighten then loosen

Last edited:

volchara

Seaman
Hi! Went to see what the case here with the engine ... I see that it is not done yet ... I'm the same has not yet made its engine, today sent the last necessary spare parts, while cite appearance in order, set the trim.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Hi! Went to see what the case here with the engine ... I see that it is not done yet ... I'm the same has not yet made its engine, today sent the last necessary spare parts, while cite appearance in order, set the trim.
ARe you able to use a little boat in Russia at the moment or is it only ice breakers?

volchara

Seaman
No Title

No-now is the ice on the ponds.Russia is a big country and climatic zones a lot,I live in the Central part,the ice melts March-April but at the time of spawning in our boats will not be allowed to go to 10 June,and so far only icebreakers and ice fishing))))) Therefore, spring ride 1000-1500 km in the South side of fishing.( It is clear though what they write? I through translator only half understand,the rest only know by experience) I Hope the owner of the theme not obidetsja for flood in the subject.Winter photo temperature -43 even birds eat with hands on the second in the South side of fishing for 1300 miles from home. http://youtu.be/mByrHriGdYM In some areas, there is also like this)))) The very first words in rolike- * breathe easy Michelle! *))))

Attachments

• photo215658.jpg
    photo215658.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo215660.jpg
    photo215660.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Yes i understand about 75% of what you wrote so thats definitely a overall pass mark.
-43 thats cold...I bet that bird would like a cup of tea as well

volchara

Seaman
No Title

Come optimism owner topic)))) Here in this state, I bought the engine and that's how he was, today completed the look.

Attachments

• photo215678.jpg
    photo215678.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo215679.jpg
    photo215679.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0
  • photo215681.jpg
    photo215681.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo215682.jpg
    photo215682.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo215683.JPG
    photo215683.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo215685.jpg
    photo215685.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 0

johnson76244

Cadet
It's been a long time guys here is where I'm at with my Envinrude 70hp, it's in the shop I think I stated it got over our heads and time that we can spend on it. Thanks for the information on loosening the bolts though. The shop called today and found the cylinder walls pitted hasn't looked at the crankshaft yet but he's 99% sure based on the cylinder walls that the crankshaft is going to be pitted as well. Bottom line it will be a total rebuild for $1500 - $1800 which to me that year motor is worth it. If I pay $1800 I'll have $2400 into the boat so I think it would be a good deal specially since a new motor is probably at least 5 times that and used rebuilds I've been seeing around $2500 - $3500. Any thoughts on this? Anything I should make sure they do? The guy sounds pretty good and hasn't pushed me to do anything I wouldn't want to, he basically left it up to me but just advised that if it were him the 1964 Envinrude 70hp is totally worth rebuilding.

I just want to thank you guys for taking the time to give me advice I really appreciate it. I wish I had the time to work on the motor but I travel alot and the time just isn't available and I want to go fishing :)

johnson76244

Cadet
Volchara the engine and control look really great you should come paint mine :). Is that -43C? When I lived in Wisconsin I remember those cold winters and ice fishing, in Texas it's not like that usually very mild but hot in the summer.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Post # 2 and others have indicated that you might run into this rust problem.

volchara

Seaman
I hope your epic with the engine end well! I gathered my engine, today was the launch.