starter on 70 horsepower johnson outboard

ryanwbay69

Recruit
I have a 70 horse power johnson outboard when trying to start my boat the bindex wont engage the fly wheel it stays at the bottom and free spins when i turn it over any suggestions whst could be causing the problem?

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Either bad battery connections; dirty bendix shaft, low power out of battery that you need to have load tested or a starter that needs to be rebuilt at starter/alternator shop unless you can DIY.Good luck.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Hold the top of the starter shaft with a spanner and check that you can spin the bendix a bit, if not its stuck there with dirt/corrosion etc

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those starters are easy to inspect / repair , could be as simple as new brushes.------They can be found for about $5.00 at the local starter repair shop.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like it's time to remove and rebuild, as least clean and lube if the brushes and armature looks good...

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Bypass the starter solenoid. Jump the starter direct from a known strong battery with a set of automotive jumper cables. If the starter cranks the flywheel normal rpm's with the jump-it's the solenoid (or perhaps the key switch.) If you still don't get proper rotation with the jump, then you may want to follow the prior recommendations to rebuilt it yourself.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Usually the bendix needs some lube WD40 will work temporarily.
A spray lube would be more permanent.

Last edited: