Tilt/trim bleeding down

metalmantis

Cadet
When I trim engine up it bleeds down fairly fast, I constantly have to keep hitting up to keep it trimmed out. No outside leaks so what I am thinking is I have internal bleed by. Is it easy to repair pump. Motor and pump are mounted on right side of motor.<br /><br />1989 50hp Johnson

ob

Admiral
Re: Tilt/trim bleeding down

Check to insure that the manual release screw is tightly seated.I believe it is accessible from the starboard side via a hole in the transom bracket.Also make sure the T/T reservoir is topped off and unit is operated full up and down several times to evacuate any air.If all this checks out ,you may have some internal seals failed.

metalmantis

Cadet

Ok i checked the manual release screw and it was tight also the resevoir was good. So I tore into it and to my suprise I did not see any teflon or rubber seals. But I did find the main port was oblong where the bearing seats as a check valve. Used a bright light and could see that bearing was not seating. Had it machined and now bearing seats just fine. Will install T/T motor and pump and see what happens. Thanks for your input :D

redgrouper

Cadet

i have a 1979 100 hp. Johnson i filled the power tilt up and it worked fine then i tried it again and heard a pop sound now the tilt is leaking at the manual release screw. any idea what could leak.:mad::confused:??????