89 EVINRUDE JOHNSON 225 HP TILT TRIM SEAL PROBLEM

supergoose

Recruit
The trim motor works fine, you can hear it going. The seals I think are bad. You can raise the motor with the assistance of some lifting while using the switch, but then the motor just goes right back down again, and rests against the rams. If boat is underway, then rams go in and motor is at full trim, and cannot lift while running. I think that htere isn't any pressure in the system. Mechanic says that I cannot get new seals and need whole new trim out fit. Yet everything works fine, just seems to be that seals are worn out. Is it hard to change out the seals. I need help badly. I think that the mechanic is lying to me to get more money, he seems shady. Thanks to anyone that can help. Supergoose

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 89 EVINRUDE JOHNSON 225 HP TILT TRIM SEAL PROBLEM

hello<br /> <br /> check the manual release valve. if its been moved recently the tip may be damaged. its rare that I toss one of those units. and some are a beastie to get off as well. I hope yours is a fresh water motor. if so its not hard to remove. Ron at Rons Marine in portsmouth VA can fix it and ship it back to ya. he is one of the few other than myself I trust with trim units.<br /> good luck and keep posting

clanton

Rear Admiral

Dealer should be able to order seal kit. I may have the trim rod seals. Joe Reeves may have some of the seals also.

supergoose

Recruit

Thanks everyone, just one last question, where can I buy the seal kits for this trim unit. If anyone can help. please reply. thank you to everyone.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The number for the seal kit is 393942, does not include o-rings for tilt cylinders. The check valves are probley bad. The dealer should have test gauge to check pump pressure. If you cant get anyone to rebuild it,or repair it, ship to me. clanton@earthlink.net. I will not rebuild unit with badly corroded, lots of hammer marks, and broken bolts.