Slipping out of gear?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
After watching the video, I can't say that it is slipping out of gear but more like missing fire every once and awhile. But I'm certainly not any expert and therefore wait for better folks to post...

alldodge

Staff member
Agree that's not slipping out of gear your loosing spark, that;s a miss. Start checking all your connections and components make sure there tight and insulation is good

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What you would do is use a timing light on each plug and observe the flashing of the light when it falters.------Me thinks that it might be jumping out of gear.------But observe the shift handle when it does this.

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class
The correct answer was slipping out of gear. I thought it was a miss as well, but on a heavier boat with 2 passengers yesterday, it was more pronounced and had a rhythm to it. I had the cowl off and witnessed the shift lock kick in. Only the second time I've had it on the lake .

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
It does look like some sort of ignition discharge. It seems to affect the video. Are all the ground straps in place?
Try trimming in a notch that should calm the porpoising.If one notch is too much make a couple small wedges to make about 1/2 a notch space.
Is the boat rated for a 25?What size prop is on it?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You aren't the first one to be fooled into thinking it was misfiring. But for the rest of us, it is S.....o.........typical of a worn out clutch dog. Seen it a bazillion times.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
You should read FR's post .... a couple of times.

As a matter of curiosity, you posted this video to YouTube over 3 years ago.
Have you run it like that ever since? :eek:

If so, I think we can guess what a recent video might look like.....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I obviously was wrong. And for the record, that is only the second time this morning... :facepalm: I told you I wasn't any expert. And I proved it too... Let us know what it takes to fix it because then it becomes a posted thread for others to learn from. :humble:

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah the video was 3 years old. I hadn't run this motor on a boat again since this past Saturday. It was a heavier boat with 2 passengers. Way more pronounced this time. Good news is this clutch dog can be had for $20 new on ebay.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yeah the video was 3 years old. I hadn't run this motor on a boat again since this past Saturday. It was a heavier boat with 2 passengers. Way more pronounced this time. Good news is this clutch dog can be had for $20 new on ebay.

Did you actually take the clutch dog out and verified it as the problem yet? Also check the gears themselves. There could be wear on those gears as well where they mesh with the clutch dog, especially the forward drive gear. Take some pictures if you can. We'd love to see the problem too...