trim cylinder leak

oddysea1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 150h.p. 2000 Johnson with a trim cylinder leak.Im wondering how many gaskets are involved in the replacement repair.Is it a straight forward process or are there any challenges I should be aware of? Thank you Andy

blockhead123

Recruit
If it is leaking where the electric motor mounts, it is just an o-ring. Remove the three screws, pull the motor off and push aside, clean up oil mess, clean surfaces, spray surfaces with starter fluid, or ether to remove oil, etc. Coat new o-ring with Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket, install o-ring and re-mount electric motor. Coat screws with gasket goop too, makes it easier next time. If it is leaking from the main seal around the middle / main strut, give it up. Take it to a shop to have that seal replaced. It requires a spanner wrench OMC tool. OR I can explain the full proceedure to you......If it is leaking from a hydraulic fitting just try tightening it up a hair.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You can check out the original factory exploded parts diagrams to see what you're getting into: epc.brp.com If one of the two trim cylinders are leaking, you may be able to replace parts without removing the whole trim assy-work on it in place. Most of the rubber seal parts are sold in a complete seal kit: 434519. If you need to remove the trim rod end caps, you can purchase/rent a spanner wrench which will unscrew it. (sold in automotive parts stores.) If you are somewhat handy, you can tackle it yourself. If it's the main tilt rod leaking, that's a bigger deal, as blockhead noted. You'll have to refill and bleed the system when it's back together. The original factory service manuals have a nice section on this trim unit overhaul.

Last edited:

oddysea1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for the information it appears that the leak is coming from the top of the trim cylinder cap only.I will go online and look a the diagram to see what is involved.I did this type of repair on my 200 h.p.1989 Yamaha and it was a simple fix with just replacing the o-rings in the cylinder caps, those o-rings were sold individually.I was a little taken back at the dealer after he showed me the bag of o-rings I needed to purchase.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The older style trim systems show many replacement parts in the oring kit. This later version does not really indicate/show any seal/oring parts. Considering the price differences, you may still be better off getting the whole oring/seal kit than just purchasing a new trim ram cap by itself. Likely the instructions with the kit will show a cap oring seal, a trim rod seal and a perhaps a trim rod wiper.