Help

mermantha

Cadet
I bought a 19' trihull boat with a 2000 Johnson 50. It wasnt running very good from sitting so I first clean the carbs, replaced the plugs, and replaced the old fuel lines. I got it idling so I took it out and it wouldnt get on a plane. WOT it just chugged through the water at about 5 mph. First Mechanic said skirt is warped and the motor is done, second mechanic said it was running great. So now a new head gasket, and a new power pack and it still isnt working. What now? I am stumped

Also the Compression test read 150 and 145

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Did you get warranty from the seller ?------Perhaps there is a reason why it was sittinhg so long.----When you cleaned the carburetors did you remove the high speed jet ( orifice ) from the bottom of the float bowls ?----What position is the red lever on electric primer ?----Does the primer bulb go firm when you operate it.-------Simple answers will get you more help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Your mechanic thinks your motor has a skirt? Not sure what that is. The second one thinks the motor is running well, but she won't plane? Maybe you need another mechanic.

You will not get blazing performance with a 50HP on a 19 foot trihull, but she should plane.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Do a cylinder drop test on it to see if it's running on both cylinders.

mermantha

Cadet
Well I tried to take it out and of course it wouldnt start and the second I get home it starts right up! But while it was running I pulled the spark wire off the top one and nothing happened. I pulled it off the bottom one and felt like i got shocked and it turned off.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
So there ya go....it is running on only one cylinder, the bottom one. Now you have to figure out what's wrong with the top one. You have already established the compression is good. So that leaves two things, not getting fuel or no spark. Check your spark first. Should jump a 7/16" gap with ease. Or light you up if you touch it. (Don't do that).

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If it passes the spark test, squirt some fuel in the top cab throat when running and see what happens.

mermantha

Cadet
No Spark on the top one. Wish I would of tried all of this in the first place before I replaced all the other stuff. At least now it will run like a champ!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Swap the coils once and see what happens. If that doesn't do it go to cdielectronics.com for trouble shooting procedures on ignition systems.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If it isn't the coil, it "probably" is the power pack. This assumption because the rest of the parts affect both cylinders, not just one.

mermantha

Cadet
Ok so I replaced the coil..Not it. I bought a new spark plug and a new spark plug wire because it was missing the little spring thing inside there. Still no spark to the top cylinder..........what now?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
About the only thing it can be is the powerpack.-Not that expensive and easy to replace.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You should have tried swapping the coils first. That way you would have saved the cost of buying a new coil.

mermantha

Cadet
I already bought a new power pack awhile ago because someone swore up and down that that was the problem. So I have a new power pack, new coil, new spark plug and a new spark plug wire...what could it be?

mermantha

Cadet
I already replace the power pack because someone swore up and down that was it. So now I have a new power pack, a new coil, a new spark plug, and a new plug wire...what could it be?

mermantha

Cadet
I already replace the power pack because someone swore up and down that was it. So now I have a new power pack, a new coil, a new spark plug, and a new plug wire...what could it be?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have you checked all the pins in the plug in connecters ?---------------------Check them visually and with a meter.-----You are looking for pins / sockets not properly inserted .-----You are looking for wires that are broken........Costs nothing to inspect and test this stuff.