My new (to me) 1970 Evinrude Starflite 115hp project motor

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
So once again, the good craigslist giveth. My wife is going to kill me one day! While cruising craigslist, I found this 1970 Evinrude Starflite 115 for $170!! I asked the guy what was wrong with it, and he said that he did not know. He had got it as a project but never got around to it. I couldn't resist and justified the purchase to myself by say if the motor is totally done then I could at east part it out for what I bought it for. I got to the guy's place this morning and found the motor to be in decent condition. It also has the factory power tilt!! However, all the wiring has been cut, and I don;t know what anything goes to. I'll be able to sort out the tilt wire pretty easy, but need to figure out the wire for the key switch as well as the F-N-R wires.

Once I got it home (I didn't have much time), I pulled the plugs, and tried to see if the motor was free. It was not. Instead of freaking out and getting mad, I grabbed a bottle of TCW-3 from the shed and poured some in each cylinder. I let it sit about 10 minutes, and guess what?!?! It turned!! I could tell that there was still a little drag so I poured in some more oil, spun the engine over 2 revolutions and placed the plugs back in to let it sit more. I'm going to build a stand and then hopefully check compression next week. I just ordered an Evinrude factory service manual on ebay for $23 in like new condition. Overall I'm pretty excited, and hopefully I'll get this thing going before too long. The distributor is something I'm going to have to read up on as it's different for me because I'm used to coils and power packs. I also need to pull the carbs and give then a thorough cleaning, These pics are what the seller had on craigslist. I'll take some more when I get some time maybe early next week. Any pointers on these engine is appreciated! Like I said I'm familiar withe OMC from '77 on, but not these early models. Thanks! Oh yeah almost forgot to post the numbers off the motor!! Model #115083D, Serial #E05503

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The service manual will have the wiring diagram in the back. But it won't have anything concerning the PT&T. Also, the ignition test procedures in the manual are obsolete. Fortunately, CDI has on-line instructions for use with a DVA meter.

Last edited:

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
Ok thank you. I've been looking on all the diagrams trying to find info on the power tilt for this motor. If I'm not mistaken I think these came with power tilt only, no trim. I'm pretty sure it's all factory, but I can't find any info regarding it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do a thorough examination of the motor before spending a lot of money on this model.

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
Will do. I had planned on looking over it real well. This isn't a project I'll be sinking too much money in. If it starts to look that way, I'll just part out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Ok thank you. I've been looking on all the diagrams trying to find info on the power tilt for this motor. If I'm not mistaken I think these came with power tilt only, no trim. I'm pretty sure it's all factory, but I can't find any info regarding it.

Yes, Power Trim & Tilt didn't come out till 1973. Yours is power tilt only. And it was a dealer installed kit. They didn't produce motors with it already installed. We had a lot of trouble with them blowing a gasket in the hydraulic tilt pump.

Power tilt kit: http://s19.postimg.org/vv0rqb1mb/48_...t_85_115hp.jpg
Power tilt kit parts list: http://s19.postimg.org/6did6pjw3/49_...t_85_115hp.jpg

Last edited:

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
replace the bottom vein pump to the later models it should fit as the oil reservoir are the same as the later model the pump will fit then pump up & down & wire to later model providing you have the 3 wire motor

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you for the links FR. Yes durban, it's the 3 wire motor. I feel better about wiring that up now. Do yall know what color wires go to what for the 3 wier system? I imagine one is ground, one is for up, and the other is for down, running to a switch? Thanks again

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
The black wire is the common one i think the other 2 blue & green . my neighbor gave me a 100 hp same as yours its a Johnson they seem to be very rare i haven't seen them around much

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, so the black one would the the positive? I imagine its grounded to the motor so there is no ground wire correct?

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, makes sense. I just thought it might be grounded to the motor when it bolts on. I have work then Christmas this week so I won't get much done but I'm hoping to at least build my stand.

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ah same motor that I've got on mine, less the power tilt and original paint colour.

These motors have the infamous Battery Ignition that has me nervous every time I go out on the water.
Needs 12.6V from the battery or it will not fire.
Also heard nightmares about the pulse pack itself.
Uses a sensor instead of points under the flywheel to determine position to fire.

Last time I took mine out the hydro-electric shift was giving me nightmares.
Keep in mind these motors are default in forward and powered to neutral and reverse.
Make sure you tie her off good at the dock. Mine almost took me for a ride into the ramp.

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A couple of other things, it looks like your motor still has the original linkage for the idle needles. Most people would recommend removing the linkage and just setting the needles and they also had a half-choke for the motor that would disengage after it heated up. I'd recommend disconnecting that. The thermostat is under the main water jacket cover right by the hoist hook. Just trace the 2 wires back to where they connect on the electrical block.