1956 10hp throttle control question

fesser

Cadet
I just put new coils in a 1956 QD17 that I bought some time ago and that has been living under a blanket in my barn. I don't have the manual for it yet but will soon. She fired right up and sounds good. My problem is the twist grip for the throttle. It is damn near impossible to move unless you sort of squeeze the stamped metal ring that shows the speeds (stop, slow, start, fast) it is almost like a cruise control but it won't let you twist the throttle without using two hands. I see no adjustments on the sleeve. What gives?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Dry is the problem. Happens a lot. Get some lube in there where the grip rides on the data ring.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Can also help to take the handle off, remove the sleeve and collapse it a bit on itself. Sometimes, if it gets bound up, it can expand into the handle a bit. Collapsing it so it is tight against the tiller arm can help, as will some light grease as FR noted...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
And while you are at it, I would clean the old grease, and re grease, along the path of gears all the way to the mag plate.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove throtte hande grip.---------------Will magneto plate turn easy now --yes or no ?---------If yes remove the little friction piece way up inside the grip and clean and grease that item.

fesser

Cadet
Thanks everyone. I will do all of the above. This motor is like new and the grease on it is like yellow paste. I am certain it is the original grease. Even under themag plate.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That was the old OMC "Type A" grease. I sold lots of it back in "the day". Looking back, in hindsight, it really wasn't that great. Today's "Anti-Corrosion Lube" is way better.