1999 johnson 50hp no spark!

Rich305

Seaman Apprentice
Ok here it is goes! I recently bought this motor brought it home and started right up no problems. So my next step mount it to the boat and conect the control box. First problem I ran into was that the 99 motor had a different plug compared to my old style red plug. So I rigged up some little pins to fit in the newer style harness comming from the motor so see if it will start. I turned the key got the beep from the control box and it started like a champ! So my next step was to hard wire it straight to the motor by matching the colors. Like a idiot I forgot to take off the power from the battery and a few wires sparked and boom once I connected all my wires and turned the key I got nothing! I turned the key and no beep no turn over. I took out a plug and jumped the motor with the starter cylinioid by tought them and the motor turned but I got no spark. Even the trim and tilt button is doing nothing... I'm thinking power pack maybe? Well I'm actually hopeinh it's the power back

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Look for a fuse that is blown. You also may have screwed up the power pack by some incorrect wiring.

Rich305

Seaman Apprentice
Look for a fuse that is blown. You also may have screwed up the power pack by some incorrect wiring.
I looked for a fuse but I cannot locate one. Would a blown power pack cause the trim and tilt not to work? Well it wasn't working before but atleast I was getting a click from the relays that are connected to it. Thanks for the quick response

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If the relays were just clicking, swap them and see what happens. The fuse may be up by the starter solenoid.

Rich305

Seaman Apprentice
If the relays were just clicking, swap them and see what happens. The fuse may be up by the starter solenoid.

Boobie you are a beast sir if I must say! I was in the shower thinking about the fuse you where talking about.. I went outside right after in search for the fuse. And boom there it was right where you said! Changed the fuse real quick and turned over! I didn't try to start it cause I didn't want to run a water hose and prime the bulb or anything.. Lol but now I know it works... Thanks a million sir I will soon be catching redfish, snook tarpons and trout in your name bud!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
The next thing to do is check your spark. It should jump a 7/16" open air gap on a tester. That is if it doesn't start.