Short shaft (20") to long shaft (25") conversion kit?,

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
I'm looking for another engine for my boat which is a 1998 Fisher Bay 19 with a 25" transom. I'm finding a ton of 80's-2000's models 90 hp-150 hp but they're all 20" shafts. I know the OMC 25" shaft motors get the extra length from the mid section, unlike Mercury which uses a spacer between the mid section and the lower unit. My question is, was there ever a kit made for OMC engines, which allows the conversion of a short shaft to long shaft, without replacing the mid section? I guess what I'm asking is was there ever a spacer made with a longer drive shaft, as well as a shift linkage extension? Thank you in advance!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
There is a company out there who makes them but I'll be darned if I can remember it. I'm sure somebody will chime in with it. Or else google outboard motor extensions.

Last edited:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
wow you think BOOBIE? for those big V6's??? I converted a 20" 115 to a 25" and it involved the whole midsection....not a small job!!! I have seen many extension kits for smaller motors.

and for the record a "short" shaft = 15", "Long" shaft= 20 " Extra long" shaft =25"......

bob

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I just remembered the place. It's bay manufacturing.com. I was just there and it shows kits for the "bigens ".

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
wow you think BOOBIE? for those big V6's??? I converted a 20" 115 to a 25" and it involved the whole midsection....not a small job!!! I have seen many extension kits for smaller motors.

and for the record a "short" shaft = 15", "Long" shaft= 20 " Extra long" shaft =25"......

bob
Thank you for the clarification! Yes, what I'm looking for is a long shaft to extra long shaft conversion.

I knew it would be a big job to replace the whole mid section with the 25" mid section. I'll see if I can find some extension kits online that are worth a darn. Thanks

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
I just sent an email to get a price. Hopefully it's not a whole lot.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The newer motors have a 2 piece driveshaft. You might see if that makes a difference in the price of the extension kits. Also, it would be a lot easier to install a longer driveshaft, if the motor has a 2 piece driveshaft.

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
I just talked to the company and got a price of $700. That's a little to steep for me right now. They said it comes with a spacer, 5" driveshaft extension, shift linkage extension, water tube extension, and the bolts. Sounds like a good product, I just can't do it right now along with the price of the motor on top of that.