Johnson Seahorse 1964? 9.5

TarponFishin

Cadet
Hello I have a Johnson 9.5 Seahorse and It seems to run good now after I had changed spark plugs, rip cord, cleaned carb and got new fuel line and tank aside from one small tick. Motor will fire up and run but it seems to have a small tick. What could this be from? I was thinking it could be from the points or maybe bad oil in the lower unit? I know nothing about outboards so any help will be greatly appreciated. Also my boat( Aluminum 14ft Row Boat) seems to be leaking slow( it is riveted) How could I ensure she will stay dry? I usually bail about 5 gals per trip. over the course of 5-6 hours. THANKS

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
alunimum boarts inhearently -Leak!! rivets / welds loosen or crack!! gets somewhat expensive to hipe a welder or aircraft riveterer type to get a boat tightened up. sealers usually just do not work or hold up!! The ticking is anyones guess? did u replace the points yourself?? could even be wrong spark plugs -pistons hitting? My best guess on the ticking may ne when u replaced the points ? the ign coils must have / be set a specific distance from the flywheel. if ever replaced / moved?? Most newer shops dont have the coil locating ring!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Take the motor to somebody who works on them every day and let him listen to it for the "tick". You've got answers on your other post about the boat leaks.

kbait

Commander
About 10 years ago I bought a leaky alumacraft.. some leaky rivets and deteriorated gasket between aluminum sheets at base of transom. I cleaned the areas up w/scotchbrite pad, cleaned w/isopropyl, and used marine GOOP (sparingly) to seal. Boat is still dry as a bone. I found the leak locations by filling the boat to the waterline while on the trailer and waiting for the drips..

Also, if the coils are mounted too close to the flywheel magnets, as noted above, you'll likely see the armature plate jump when pulling the motor over slowly.

Good luck!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is there an " anti vibration " kit installed on this motor ?-----Identified by add on brackets , one mounted to the carburetor and one mounted to the exhaust.----------These motors did have a unique sound at idle and the perceived " tick " may be normal.