Broken cam follower 1986 8hp

Igyjastabay

Seaman
Hey guys i snapped my cam follower while fiddling with the allen screw, seems like it was week plastic (didnt take much). Anyway i ordered the cam follower and a roller. How hard is this to replace? Im kind of an amateur at repair work. Tha ks in advance for any help.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You have to pull the flywheel and loosen about 5 screws around the stator to replace that.---------Glue is faster.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Glue / epoxy the broken one !

Gotcha lol!

Presumable the little bendy bit is what you have broken.

You sure you will be able to glue that satisfactorily.

You'll not stand any chance without removing it I'd think. In which case you might as well fit the new one anyway.

Looks to me as though the recoil starter will have to come off to access it but I cannot see why it will be necessary to pull the flywheel.

If you release the spring tension in the recoil you will need to know that it has to be "wound up" by 12? turns before refitting the cord.

Useful instructions in the manual at http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????-----Flywheel needs to come off !!!!!!-----No need to fool around with a recoil starter !!!

Last edited:

Igyjastabay

Seaman
Thanks for the i fo guys. After looking at the motor closely, i do believe i need the take off the re oil starter to access that bolt.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Thanks for the i fo guys. After looking at the motor closely, i do believe i need the take off the re oil starter to access that bolt.
I think racerone must have misunderstood what part you are talking about.
You definitely dont need to touch the flywheel or any screws round the stator . Just the retaining /pivot screw holding it on the carb. Watch out for the spacer washer between it and the carb!

You can barely see the head of the screw and you won't remove it with the recoil in place.

Igyjastabay

Seaman
Vic- thabks for your imput. Will i have to take off the whole assembly spring and all? It looks like i might be able to just remove the rope spindle thingy. I do t want to mess with the spring etc..

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
I have never taken the recoil off.
I have looked at it to see how the cord could be replaced and how to get the carb off for cleaning but so far not had to do either.

Maybe you can do it without releasing the spring, but I doubt it.

Read what the manual has to say in the section on removing the carb as well as in the section on the recoil

slate1234

Petty Officer 1st Class
you wont need to remove anything other than the shoulder screw that holds the cam follower in place, it is easier to remove the the bolts that hold the pull starter in place and lean it over to one side, but I have done a few just look at the screw and think about getting it back in thats the hard part

Igyjastabay

Seaman
Thanks. To remove that screw i unscrewed the plastic top of the carb. Whole process was quick and easy. No need to mess with the pull starter.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Thanks. To remove that screw i unscrewed the plastic top of the carb. Whole process was quick and easy. No need to mess with the pull starter.
Never though of that.

Mine is an '84 model that does not have a removable top to the carb.

You do have to be careful with those plastic tops I believe....some at least are easily cracked.

Thanks for the feed back

Igyjastabay

Seaman
Vic, i think they switched over to plastic solely because of the the ease of replacement. Apparently the cam follower was quite a problem. Local dealer who has been selling outboards for 40 years told me they break on that that loop-d-loop you described all the time. He said it was an engineering flaw they corrected by adding plastic cover on carb.