1958 Evinrude Fastwin 18 HP Outboard Restoration

loco50

Seaman Apprentice
I picked up a 1958 Evinrude Fastwin 18 HP motor this week. I've been dying to find one of these for a long time. It looks pretty clean and I will post some pics. It is very difficult to pull on the pull start. I can't get a good pull on it with the spark plugs in I can hardly pull it out. If I remove the plugs it pulls out fine. The plugs look normal and have no rust on them. Is this something to be concerned about. I have pulled on other pull starts before with ease, but this one is a bear.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
It may have been sitting for a long time. Try putting a little 2 cycle oil in the spark plug holes making sure the oil reaches completely around the cylinder/piston. After that rotate it and hopefully it will ease up. Also, if you're going to pull on the starter you may want to spray some outboard oil/gas mixture into the carb so the lubricant gets to the crank/bearings.

nwcove

Admiral
as mentioned add some oil, but if the motor is in good shape, it will be somewhat hard to pull through the compression stroke. its not a one handed pull when cold for most people. jmo

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
On those models, can you "peek" into the crank shaft area by removing a cover off the intake side?
Not very invasive - and I just cant stop wondering about rust and the like.
You will also be able to look at a bit of ring condition and cyl wall condition - without head removal.
If a little rust is on the cyl walls, you can usually live with that, but if the bearings between the connecting rod and crankshaft are a little harder to recover from.
Would a look see bear any information?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It seems like we hear a lot of complaints about the 18-20-25 motors being hard to pull. Of course we have no way of knowing the physical condition of the guy doing the pulling, but in this case the OP says he pulls other motors with ease. I guess what I'm saying here is that the 18 pulls harder than some motors. Especially if it is on a stand or something. Shouldn't be a problem if mounted on a boat where you can grab it and haul on it without trying to hold the motor down at the same time.

loco50

Seaman Apprentice
I do have it on a carrier designed for smaller outboards. And I am trying to keep it steady when I pull on it. This motor is a beast compared to the 6 HP Fisherman I am used to. I will try to secure it on a better stand and see what that does. Thanks for the tip.

nwcove

Admiral
there is a big diff between pulling the cord on a 6 compared to your 18 ! it does look clean tho, could be a nice runner.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have two 18s and yes they are hard to pull,harder in fact than my 40 Norseman which makes it important that they are set up right.Mine are and they both start first or second pull.It helps a lot if you just squirt some premix into the carb first.I carry an old syringe with a bit of skinny rubber tube instead of a needle for just this purpose.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
You will notice a big difference once on a boat as FR mentioned. Just hard on a stand.

loco50

Seaman Apprentice
Appreciate the comments. I am in the process of locating a pressurized gas tank. Wow are they pricey. I thought about converting it to a fuel pump but I hate to take away from the motor with the conversion. What do you guys suggest?

nwcove

Admiral
just my thought.....conversion is the way to go. omc converted to pump for a reason. you can find steel tanks that still have the right " look" but are single line tanks much cheaper. again...jmo

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like a newer lower unit on there. They are easier to pull on a boat than a stand. I have a 58, they are reliable and one of the best looking Rudes.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Where are you looking for pressure tanks? Post a wanted ad in the classifieds at aomci.org

A member local to you should be able to help out. Their price would vary as well based on how restored it is. Main thing is ensure it is clean inside, no rust, as solid.

The gasket, diaphragm, etc.. can be rebuilt.

The double fuel line is not particularly cheap either. If you do end up needing any items give me a shout.

richardgreen

Seaman
I would convert it to run on a single line tank & fuel pump without question. Way more convenient and not hard to do. Likely cheaper than finding a double line tank in good condition too. Look online for instructions. You'll need to buy a Briggs & Stratton fuel pump, a single line male connector and tap a hole in the bypass cover plate.

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Why would he need to do all that when he can buy the correct bypass cover used on later model 18's?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
If you can find a bypass cover and fuel OMC fuel pump, all the better. OR you can modify your existing bypass cover, by making a plate and filling the void as well to use a 2 line pump.

Then of course as mentioned, if you want to use a cheaper 3 barb pump, you can remove the bypass cover, and drill/tap it for a fuel barb fitting, then find somewhere to mount the pump.

OR buy a pressure tank. All easy. All good choices in their own right. Just depends on what you want.

RSchendel

Seaman
I also have a 58 Fastwin. Search the forum and you will find info on how I mounted the solenoid internally when I added electric start. Well worth it. You will need the starter bracket in addition to the starter.

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
that would probably be normal staring an 18 on a stand is not easy to do, up to 10 hp not too bad, I have had better luck putting it on the boat to pull the 18 over.
It takes a pretty good pull to the the bigger motors to fire. I have a 68 18hp pulled the stand over trying to start it. As for the fuel tank your choice but pressure tanks are not too hard to find. I have never had any trouble with my 6gal tank, rebuilt it maybe twice in the last 30 years.

Last edited: