Cowl Seals, how are they installed?

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need to replace the seal in a 25002c. Were they stapled on in the factory (going through aluminum)? Or were holes pre-drilled for the staples? seems like a lot of work...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I had the same setup with my older cowling as well. Of course my old seal was barely there anymore so the staples were the only think in some sections that remained. But with my new replacement seal, I just used some black RTV sealant like you would buy in any auto parts stores for sealing around windshield seals, and reinstalled the seal. Once it cures, that seal is there to stay. But others will probably chime in with their methods and you can pick the one you like better...

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I believe, but not positive, that the originals were stapled right through the aluminum. Must have been a heck of a stapler, right? They did that because the stickem they previously used didn't hold well. Actually it was the rubber that failed, not the glue. The rubber swelled up from gas/oil contamination. I have no idea how well the present day replacements will hold up.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
I replaced the seal around my fiberglass cowling that had been stapled at the factory. Was able to salvage about 2/3 of the staples when I removed the old seal. When I got the new seal in place, I used a tiny drill bit to re-drill all the staple holes where I needed them. Pushed the staples thru the dual holes and bent the staples over. Worked fine.