1998 FS 175 Heatsoak

stevey08

Cadet
I have been reading about heatsoak on Faststrike motors for a year now. Has anyone foud a cure or is every motor different? Mine is a 1998 175. Same story as I have read. It works fine first shot out of the ramp. I fish a place for an hour. I idle out to clear water and hammer down to get on plane. The motor acts like it runs out of gas. I rev it up out of gear for a few seconds and it takes off fine. They tell me the fuel burns off because of the heat. I have heard to check the throttle linkage, turn the adjustment needle on the carbs one full turn counter clockwise, add more vents to cowling, advance timing 2 degrees, shorten fuel line as much as posible. I have just lived with it and reved my engine out of gear before taking off. But, I feel like I need to do something. I feel like I am neglecting it by not addressing it.

Anyone have a list of things to do first? I know I could take it to my mechanic. I had a 96 150 Fastrike that I was able to do most everything on and I would like to fix this as well.

Thanks for your time

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I have not heard of a cure. Some of the ones you listed are "snake oil" in my opinion. To relieve issue, I set the motor to run at fast idle 1200-1500 RPM, for a few minutes, before taking off. Also, let her idle a couple of minutes, when you arrive at a new fishing spot. She should cool off some, and that should help.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Make sure you have the updated reed block gaskets as the black one crack and leak, rebuild the vapor pump and check that float and needle are working inside separator chamber and install a new cover gasket.Make sure you have a OEM primer bulb and this usually takes care of most issues. The float and needle are for vapor release not fuel.