Help with 78 35 hp

Yarb

Cadet
I just acquired an old bass boat with a electric start 1978 Evinrude 35HP, model 35852R.
It has been sitting since 1997. The engine turns free by hand and has strong compression.
I pulled the plugs and oiled up the cylinder and let it sit a couple of days.
It did not come with a key for the ignition switch so I removed all the wires and taped them up.

No battery installed.

I pulled the plugs and grounded them good to check for spark.

I first turned it over by hand, no spark.

Next I spun it over with my cordless drill, no spark.

The wiring diagram I am using is for the 1982- 1984 Remote electric start. Is it the same as the 1978?

Where do I start? What is the procedure for checking the charge coil and stator, the power pack and coils?

The wiring diagram I am using is for the 1982- 1984 Remote electric start. Is it the same as the 1978?

Hope someone can help!

Thanks, Yarb

jasper60103

Commander
CDI has a troubleshooting procedure for CDI ignition systems.
You'll need a DVA meter to perform all the tests though.

edit: I attached the CDI troubleshooting procedure.

Good luck.
-jasper

Attachments

• cdi_113-2453.pdf
    38.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Your '78 is similar enough to the 82-84 that you should be able to figure it out.

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class
that engine must be cranked at least 250 rpm. The best way to check for spark is to try and run the motor. Ignore your faulty output tests until you crank the engine with the starter.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Go to NAPA and buy a marine ignition switch with the push in for choke and wire it up.

I say this because awhile ago I picked up a 1975 50hp Johnson for $100.00.. It has 145# of compression on both cylinders but when I bought it there was no spark. Disconnected the yellow/black wire like I was instructed and still no spark. So while I was playing around with it and trouble shooting it I wired in a harness that I had which had a key switch. Low and behold, 1st turn of the key I had beautiful spark on both cylinders. To this day no one has been able to explain why.

BTW this motor runs great! Now I just need to find something to put it on.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
There are some wiring diagrams inside the first post at the top of this page. Look in the "top secret" files. While they don't have your specific year listed, I agree with FR, that one of them is probably close to your year's engine.

Yarb

Cadet
Thanks for all the help guys! I was looking over the wiring diagram and noticed that two of the switch wire are made in the run position. I did like bonz_d suggested and tested it again. Strong spark now. I will do the carb next and do a test run. Just to be on the safe side I will also replace the water pump impeller.

Yarb

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Yarb, happy to hear you too have found spark! I had that exact same engine on the Lund I had, which my baby brother is now the proud owner of, and it is a sweet little engine. Never had a problem with it.