2004 johnson 25hp 12v charger

Sean NS

Recruit
hello. I have a 2004 25hp Johnson (model j25rlsrr). this is a pullstart and I am curious of what I need to do to hook up a 12 volt charger for a battery on the boat to power running lights, bilge pump, ect. . when I follow the wires off the stator there is 2 yellow wires that are capped off and not used. are these possibly to hook a rectifier too? if so can I order a rectifier off one of the electric start model engines of this class and size and simply wire it in or does Johnson make some kind of a kit? any advice would be appreciated. thanks! p.s. if anyone has any ideas on removing the temperature switch from the head without destroying it let me know

boobie

Supreme Mariner
The two yellow wires are for AC lighting only, The battery charging kit is part # 174037 which has a different stator and rectifier. You might check around and see if you can find that kit.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I think you'll have to remove the outer cylinder cover to get the temp sender out.

Sean NS

Recruit
Thank you. I've checked around and the charging kits are in the $450 range. (Cad). Before I spend that mind of money just to charge a battery for lights I want to be sure I can't usd the existing stator. The part no for the stator on my engine is 0584507. There are 3 wires (yellow, yellow/blue, yellow/Gary) coming off of it. They are hooked to nothing and just makes my wonder why there is even a stator on the engine to begin with. You say the wires are for AC lighting. Is it perhaps the output of those wirs isn't as high as the stator from the proper charging kit? Because if I can tie in to mine with a voltage regulator and rectifier and get a 2 or 3 amps off of it that's all I need