1965 evinrude not cycling water/cooling

Prem1114

Recruit
Just purchased a 1965 3hp Evinrude model # 3532a. Once I get it started I notice there is little if any water coming from the exhaust holes and the motor gets hot quick. Just last week water was spraying out the holes with no problem. Any suggestions please? FYI the outboard does NOT have a water pump

Xcusme

Commander
Welcome to the iboats forum..!!
Well, I can't find your model number...strange...any way...to say the motor does NOT have a water pump, is a little premature. Looking at the pages for your motor , will show the water pump.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
that motor has a pump just unscrew the bolts drop the gearcase and open up the the impeller housing

must be a 3502 if it is a 1965 in any event it is water cooled and has a pump for certain since it was spaying water out the holes .

Prem1114

Recruit
When I took it to an outboard mechanic for a carb cleaning i was told it does not have a water pump. I am new to outboards this is the first one I have owned. I attached a YouTube link of my exact evinrude.

http://youtu.be/L8vT00KyGh8

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If your mechanic told you that then I would run and look for another mechanic !!!!----As stated these motors do have a waterpump and old impellers can fail suddenly.

Prem1114

Recruit
This is why I took my issue to here before dishing out any more money! I watched the video, I am a do it yourself kind of guy but with the age of this motor I would have preferred it be done the correct way

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is why I took my issue to here before dishing out any more money! I watched the video, I am a do it yourself kind of guy but with the age of this motor I would have preferred it be done the correct way

You can rebuild a carburetor without special tools. Same with the impeller and gear oil. You will need special tools for just about everything else that needs troubleshooting or maintenance.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
3532A is indeed the correct model number for a 1965 Evinrude Yachtwin short shaft motor. Impeller is part number 434424 (18-3001 here at iboats), if it still has the original metal pump housing. You won't know that till you look.