permatex 51813 for gaskets

HBF4

Seaman Apprentice
I used permatex 51813 anaerobic gasket sealer yesterday on my 1977 85 hp evinrude. 24 hours later, its still tacky. Its only about 25 degrees in my shed. I kept the gasket maker in the house before I used it. I didnt use the surface prep activator. Did I screw up not using the activator. I've brought the engine into my house to see if it dries.

Trent

Captain
Re: permatex 51813 for gaskets

The excess that squeezes out will not get hard. If the surfaces were clean when you put the sealer on you will be fine. I use the stuff all the time. The stuff dries under pressure.

HBF4

Seaman Apprentice

thanks trent. Now I can finish this engine rebuild.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yep anerobic means without air or without oxygen. while it does have a shelf life most locking and flange sealing compounds like gel-seal and the loctite 518 dont cure if exposed to air. I dont use the primer due to if your not really really ready and have all bolts torqued in the first few minutes at 90 degrees it hardens and becomes a shim between the flanges instead of a sealant. found that one out the hard way. got a 35 evinrude assembled and the upper bearing on the stator was to small due to the shimming effect between the block and the cover. had to tear it all back down and try again.<br /><br /> good luck and keep posting

HBF4

Seaman Apprentice

thanks again guys. haven't used this permatex before, so I was worried when it wasn't drying. Hope to have this engine together the next couple of days.