'85 Evinrude 25hp shorting switch help.

J.Whaler

Cadet
I recently changed the power pack on my '85 evinrude 25hp (CROS) because the wires were old and deteriorated. I received and installed my new power pack from boats.net promptly, however the only difference is that this new one doesn't wire to the shorting switch like the original. Is there any way to tie it in? The power pack works fine but I had to kill the motor by flooding it.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Ya need to ground the ignition, without fryin' it,....

I don't how to do it, but I'll move this to the Johnny-rude outboard forum,...
Ya oughta get a answer sooner there,...

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Go to the top secret files at the beginning of this forum and look for wiring diagrams. There may be something there that will help you out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Say what? Doesn't it have a 3-wire plug and a 4-wire plug? The black/yellow stripe wire to the 3-wire plug is the kill wire.

J.Whaler

Cadet
Say what? Doesn't it have a 3-wire plug and a 4-wire plug? The black/yellow stripe wire to the 3-wire plug is the kill wire.
The old power pack had the 3-wire plug with the shorting wire the new one only has the 4-wire plug.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If you put them together make sure all the color codes on the wires match in the plug.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The old power pack had the 3-wire plug with the shorting wire the new one only has the 4-wire plug.

That seems odd. How did they handle the orange and orange/blue wires to the coils? The diagram I have shows those two wires and the kill wire through the 3-wire plug. Must be something out there I don't know about. Hey, there are LOTS of stuff I don't know about.

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
if you could post pictures of the old and new pp , might help someone:)

J.Whaler

Cadet
Ok so I took the ground wire from the new power pack connected it to one of the wires of the shorting switch and grounded the other wire of the switch. It was a success! In theory isn't that the purpose of the switch anyway? to break the ground?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The purpose of the switch is to ground the black/yellow wire to turn it off. I don't know what you have, but it sounds like you are satisfied, so I am too.