Johnson 9.9HP Sailmaster Random Starting Problems

jheintz

Recruit
I have a Johnson 9.9HP Sailmaster engine that came with my 1988 MacGregor Sailboat that I am having an unusual problem with. Occassionaly, when I attempt to pull start the engine the pull start will not rotate the engine. I am new to the outboards but I know with an auto engine if you can't get the engine to rotate it is a good chance that something is seriously wrong with it. Here's the kicker though - after I fool around with the controls in a apparently random sequence it will rotate just fine and start right up. What is causing this and how do I get the engine to rotate everytime without having to fool with the engine controls for 30min before it will start. Thanks.<br /><br />Joe

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 9.9HP Sailmaster Random Starting Problems

Joe...welcome to the iboats forum.<br /><br />What you are probably encountering is the safety feature that will not let you start the engine while the throttle is open for high rpm. Remove the cover and look on the port side of the engine. You will see the throttle tower shaft coming up behind the recoil starter. At the top is a red lever. Rotate the throttle toward high speed and the lever should go in against the recoil rope spindle to prevent it from starting. There should also be a small spring attached with a wire that lays to the outside of the spring cup. If that spring is broke or bent so that tension is taken off the red lever, this will also cause the problem your having. Take a look and let us know.....thanks.

Xcusme

Commander

Joe,<br />OBJ has given you good advice (not that anyone needs my OK) but know this about the 'safety interlock' mentioned. The 'lockout' function also prevents you from pulling the starter rope when the throttle is advanced and the motor is running. Engaging the starter gear while running would not be a good idea, it's like hitting the starter on your car while the motor is running. <br />Some folks (fishermen who move from one spot to another frequently)unwisely disable the lockout so that they don't have to twist the throttle to the Start position to re-start the motor. This is not a good idea. Being able to start the motor at full throttle can cause you to be thrown from the boat, again , not the best of situations.<br /><br />The parts needed to repair a broken lockout pawl are cheap and easily ordered from the dealer.

jheintz

Recruit

That solved the problem. :) I popped the cover on the engine and saw the part you were talking about and sure enough it was getting in the way. Thanks for your help.<br /><br />Joe

wallfishing

Recruit
starter pawl and spring

starter pawl and spring

OBJ,

I have a follow-up question to your Jan 4, 2004 explination of the "red lever" on the throttle shaft, that is the starter pawl safety lever. My outboard is a 1987 Johnson J15RCUD. I have the spring and know the location where it is inserted in the red pawl. However, I can not figure out the orientation and how the spring is attached so that it "pushs" the lever out of the way when I am ready to start the engine.

I don't think I am hijacking this post since it is a continuation of jheintz's original problem. At least I did a search and found all the info available to date. Thanks.

Rick.

Captain

You've asked one of those million dollar questions here. A real good one. I fought with the same issue for months never really knowing how it goes in. I can tell you one end of the spring goes against the outside edge of the recoil cup and the other on the outside edge of the red part. I was in a shop once that had three used 9.9's in it and on all three the spring was put in differently. Here is a link I consider to be a must read for all 9.9 and 15 owners. Perhaps there is a picture of the spring on one of his articles. Best of luck. Rick
edit: forgot the link.
http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC/OMC info.htm

wallfishing

Recruit

Rick,

Thanks, I have checked the link and it is helpful. I have a follow-up question. On the figure that shows the red starter pawl (shown in section titled "Reinstalling the Manual Starter Spool"), it shows the long red leg as being outside the vertical arm that is part of the cup spring assembly. Is this correct? When I took my machine apart, the red leg was inside this vertical arm and it seems that it has to be if the red pawl is going to engage the starter pulley.

Rick.

Captain

It should be inside the arm as you mentioned but the spring goes on the outside of the same arm. Rick.

wallfishing

Recruit
starter pawl

starter pawl

Rick,

Thanks, you advice was spot on and it took me less than 5 minutes to get everything in good running order. Thanks again.

wallfishing

Rick.

Captain

In this thread some have stated you are unable to start the motor if it has been given too much gas. My personal recollection of the recoil lock out feature is that it is supposed to stop you from starting the motor if it is in gear and too much throttle is applied. I do remember times when I have started mine while it was in gear but the reason it started is I had the throttle set at idle. It is a very good safety feature for sure. Glad it worked out for you. Have fun. Rick.

I have a 74 model 9.9 I just rebuilt the carb and put new plugs in it but can't get it to start. Before doing this it would start with starter fluid but now it won't do anything, any help would be app.

Rick.

Captain

Hello dead in the yard. You would be well advised to start a new thread indicating your problem. It's not good practice to jump in on another s thread like this. Best of luck. Rick.