Need help w/ Flywheel for 2001 Johnson 70HP, part #0584360

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukin_33

Cadet
Hello, first thank you for your patience with me, I am not a mechanic and knowledge is somewhat limited. I have a 2001 70hp Johnson outboard and some of the teeth on the flywheel are chipped, causing the starter to get stuck. I had a local mechanic take a look at it, he says that we need to replace the flywheel. He said it is a rare issue, that he's never seen as many chips in the teeth of flywheel. The part is discontinued, not able to find it online other than a couple places selling it for $300-400. Any tips on finding a better price or a used one? I've searched local shops/mechanics and throughout CL / Ebay / etc. Is there another part # that is interchangeable? Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated! I will post pictures

lukin_33

Cadet
No Title

Attachments

• photo212743.jpg
    photo212743.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo212744.jpg
    photo212744.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo212745.jpg
    photo212745.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo212746.jpg
    photo212746.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Pretty common failure.----I have 3 of them that are bad so I know it is a problem.------Going to repair those 3 and then no more problem with those 3.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Check the top secret files at the beginning of this forum and look for salvage yards.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
I believe I still have a couple off of 70's early 80's 70HP. From the pics, they don't really look that much different. (hae to check the magnets for the ignition, I know the ignition is different). If you can figure out if they are compatible, and provided I can find them, I will just give you one, (just cover my shipping). I will check this weekend at my shop and let you know.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No !!----The earlier 70 HP flywheels do not work as the magnets are totally different.----Has to do with the " quickstart " system on the newer motors from 91 and up.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
No !!----The earlier 70 HP flywheels do not work as the magnets are totally different.----Has to do with the " quickstart " system on the newer motors from 91 and up.

well that solves that then!

At least I tried ;)

lukin_33

Cadet
Thank you guys very much. I will continue my search for the part. If anyone use this post and happens to have one or a connection to one please let me know thank you again.

Rampant Johnny

Recruit
Hi,
I have a 1992 60HP Evinrude outboard with 4 teeth substantially gone and was wondering how to effect a repair. (This particular item is very difficult to source and I am in new Zealand where there are even fewer). Any tips on reconstituting the teeth? I see racerone (above) talks of repair
ing them

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I understand the problems with these.-----I have a repair method in mind that is guaranteed to fix them.------Have 3 on the shelf now and waiting for a 4th to repair them in one batch.---Sad that this part is listed as NLA on these.

Status
Not open for further replies.