1999 15 HP - Fuel issue (New build)

Calibra

Seaman
Hi

I've recently carried out a rebuild of the power head. (First time ever doing this)
Today I try to start it for the first time and it won't start. I have a feeling it is fuel related.

The reason I say fuel related is because when I take the spark plugs out, there is no sign off fuel in the cylinders.

Petrol is getting to the Carb, but I don't think it is leaving it. The carb has not been rebuilt, it was just removed and re-added to the power head.

I don't know anything about carbs, so wondering if it's stuck or something. It's only been sitting there for 2 months.

Thanks

James

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I guess if you have good compression & spark you could spray a bit of fuel (or fuel mix if 2 stroke) in the carb throat, choke it and try to start it. It should be enough to give a good kick which would give an indication of no fuel coming from the carb. It might even be enough to get it running so be prepared in case it does. Worth a try.

poida

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Above suggestion is a good one. Do you have spark and compression??? Are the coil wires going to the correct cylinder?

raczekp1

Lieutenant
are you sure spark plugs wires arnt crosed?
is chocke mechanism in carb working ?
new rebuild powerhead(new piston, rings, honed cylinders, seals) should get 125 psi or more so fuel is just sucking from carb

Calibra

Seaman
Hi

I found the issue, there are two orange wires that plug in to a black box that then connects to the spark plugs.
I connected those orange wires wrong :)

I don't have the lower cover on yet as I seemed to have lost the screws. So after a while the engine cuts out because the fuel pipes work their way loose leaking a little petrol. But thats easy to sort out.

As for compression, with 3 pulls of the rope I seem to be getting 100 - 110psi. One time both pistons will get 100PSI and second time approx 110psi. Whatever reading I get, both pistons read the exact same. I did the compression check before the engine I got the engine running. I do hear on the internet that compression tests on rope start engines tend to under read, but I don't really know.

Either way, I am just glad I can get it running. I paid a premium for the engine, used it for 15 mins and it seized. The previous owner done a rebuild (and did not tell me) and put the rod caps on the wrong rod. One cap came off and went through REED. So I collected all new parts and imported them from USA and stuck it all together. New powerhead (which I had bored and honed), rods, Pistons, gaskets etc etc.

As I tore down the engine, it was amazing, wrong screws and things where used.

When the previous owner had it, it must of over heated so he done a crappy rebuild to flog it.

James

Last edited:

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class
sorry to hear that. never pay more than $200 for a motor you can't test or see on a boat.