Points for a 1946 Sportsman 2 HP

adaily

Recruit
I have one of these engines that had been sitting for I have no idea how long. The usual needed to be done, tank was dirty, carb was full of crystallized old fuel and oil. Ignition points had carbon deposits. After disassembling and reassembling it ran quite nicely. Started right away. The points are well used and even though it's running fine it really needs a new set. I liked the old design a lot better than what's produced now. Does anyone have an idea where I could acquire a set? The coil, was fine, and I'd take a new condenser too if one was available. Thanks in advance. Tony

kbait

Commander
That one has the 'guillotine' type points. If you disassemble, file the faces of 'em nice and shiny, just use them (set to .020"). If they're so badly pitted that you can't clean 'em up, check salvage yards in Top secret file.. you can likely find a set of good/used that'll clean up nicely. I use tim's outboard 218-682-2331.

When I'm cleaning point faces, I'll use a good file to flatten face, remove pits. Then I use a dull, fine file to make 'em shine up like new (and also slightly bevelling the circumference edge to remove any burrs). Pretty rare to find a set that won't clean up and work fine.

I wouldn't worry about the condenser unless you get intermittent spark after cleaning/setting the points.

Good luck!

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Not sure about a 1946, but a 1947 takes a 580016 breaker set and 300153 condenser. That would be the magneto with a round magnet rotating in the center, and a push rod opens the points. Used several years. Is that what you have?

Those parts are still available from Evinrude dealers, but you won't like the price. I suggest you go to the Antique Outboard Club's website and post a free want ad on their Webvertize Ads pages. There are guys over that have a lot of NOS (new-old-stock) parts. www.aomci.org

adaily

Recruit
Thanks for the part numbers and good advise. I did clean and polish them not expecting that they were serviceable for the long run. Makes sense that when that engine was built people would rather fix than replace. I like the design of those old points, I hadn't seen a set like that before. The cam and magnet design was clever too. Tony

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
That 300153 condenser has a micro farad rating of 0.2, (or anywhere between .15 to 0.205)

If you cannot find the condenser (should be easy following Franks advice and posting at aomci.org), your can use a capacitor from an online electronics store. They used to be at locations like Radio Shack, but don't think so anymore. Just ensure it has adequate and equivalent voltage ratings. 500?