1970s evinrude 25 hp sportster

mmiguy101

Recruit
Hey guys i have a 1970s evinrude 25 hp sportster. The motor was in the back yard laying down for a few months. I went over to my house and put it on the boat and it backfired after not starting after 3 turns. I tried starting again and it started up and idled for about 2 minutes then over reved and took off. I have never had it do that. Shut the motor off and tried to re start and couldnt get anything. Any idea as to what is going on? Also, the guy I bought it from added key start to the motor and ever since I have had the motor I have to crank for a good 5 seconds or more before it finally starts up. It had a water pump, impeller, and head gasket replaced a few months ago. It would be nice to get this motor fully functionable, but its been problem after problem with it. Thanks for any advice.

kbait

Commander
You probably have a stuck float valve. Motor ran and used up the fuel that was in the bowl, and revved up due to lean condition just before fuel is completely gone. Try to prime the motor, and if it doesn't start, pull the plug on the front of the bowl and see if there's fuel in the bowl (if you have a high speed needle sticking out of the front of the bowl, just remove it). If no fuel comes out, try rapping on the side of the carb while priming and see if fuel starts to flow (your trying to dislodge needle from seat). If not, disassemble carb and clean or replace needle/seat (float valve). Before installing assembled carb to powerhead, blow in the fuel inlet nipple when carb is upright.. air should pass through. Then try to blow air through the nipple w/carb upside down. NO air should pass (float valve should be closed). If that's all good, reinstall and test.

Good luck!

mmiguy101

Recruit
Thanks guys! i know it was laying down for a few months in the yard. Its been on the back of the boat upright for about a week or so now. Im going to try to run it regularly and if i have the same problems I will take the carborator off and clean it. Thanks again hopefully i will get a good running motor. When turning the key having to keep the key turned for it to start for a good 5 seconds or so do you think thats also linked to the carb?