tell-tale wont pee water

shep03

Recruit
I have a 1983 evinrude 4.5
got it running did a cab job , fuel pump , impeller , but when I have it sitting in a bucket of water will not pee water out ... I just replaced the impeller and dowel ,also when I force water threw the pick up with a hose it pee's out a nice stream but after I take it off it pushes out what let in the motor then just spits very very little water

shep03

Recruit
after thinking about it when the previous owner change the impeller he must have over tighten 2 bolts because they were cracked off part of the side I didn't give it too much thought while I was putting on the impeller because there was a metal sleeve in there but now realizing it need vacuum to push the water im betting that the housing is leaking the vacuum and that's why im not getting water... thoughts ?

shep03

Recruit
hmm didn't know that this is my first time working on a boat motor so I have a slight learning curve.
will try a deeper barrel tomorrow and see if that solves the problem!

kbait

Commander
If the cracks your refer to are on the plastic housing that holds the metal 'cup', then replace the impeller housing. Check that the impeller plate beneath is FLAT.. any warp will lose seal w/impeller, and not pump.

Good luck!

shep03

Recruit
yea the crack is actually a small sliver or chunk missing from where the bolts go threw the impeller housing from the previous person over tighten the bolts... I oder the part it was only $13 dollars and im pretty sure that's the issue. I checked the plate and gasket they look pretty flat so I think there ok . also when I order the part they had two grommet's listed for the water tube / impeller housing I order both for good measure I only had one on mine but the parts should be here this week and ill check back in and let ya know if that what it was and if I get the issue fixed