1946 Johnson Sea Horse - lower unit questions

vcaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone,

I bought this TD 20 Johnson the other day. It was locked up, but I added some sea foam in the cylinders and it'll crank now. I took the lower unit completely apart, the oil was a thick almost paste like sludge. I cleaned up all the parts, and have it back together, but I still need a gasket where the lower unit connects to the extension case. Does anyone know where I could get one? Is it possible to use an RTV like substance? Also, what kind of gear oil should I be using? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Attachments

• photo212579.jpg
    photo212579.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212580.jpg
    photo212580.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 0

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
No oil in that lower unit, grease only. Use Lubriplate 109. Some use corn head grease, too (farm supply stores, etc.).

In my opinion, RTV has no purpose anywhere near an outboard. If it needs an sealant, use an actual gasket adhesive. Not likely you'll find a gasket anywhere - time to invest in a good pair of sewing scissors and some gasket material. Use the old gasket as a template, or lacking that, trace the parts themselves.

vcaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
No oil in that lower unit, grease only. Use Lubriplate 109. Some use corn head grease, too (farm supply stores, etc.).

In my opinion, RTV has no purpose anywhere near an outboard. If it needs an sealant, use an actual gasket adhesive. Not likely you'll find a gasket anywhere - time to invest in a good pair of sewing scissors and some gasket material. Use the old gasket as a template, or lacking that, trace the parts themselves.

Thank you! That explains why that sludge / grease was in there. Do you know what the screw on the extension case is for? It goes through to the other side.