Help: 1980 Evinrude 2 stroke, 8 HP throttle/handle/grip repair

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a used boat/trailer/motor combination and when I went to put the motor on the boat for the 1st time, I noticed that the handle/throttle/grip seemed to have been pulled off the arm, and was attached only by 2 wires. At the seller's, he started the motor on the 2nd pull, put it through it's paces and all ran smoothly. I don't think he pulled a fast one as he seemed very straight forward showing flaws and extras. Shaking the handle/grip, small pieces of broken plastic came out. The motor was driven home (~75 miles) in the bottom of the boat, cinched to a bench (too tight causing damage?) Is this a do-it-yourself or must it be taken in? Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Look up your motor at shop.evinrude.com and maybe you can figure out what's missing/broken.

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Boobie: Thank you for the quick response. The site is one I have now bookmarked. Unfortunately, after much review, it seems that the parts list does not indicate that this area of the motor (handle/throttle) has serviceable parts. This, in itself, may answer my question. If anyone has attempted such work, I'd also like to hear from you.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Better check the model number.
The 8HP didn't come along until after 1982 or even later.
Parts are available....I had to replace some on a 1990 8HP that I dropped.
But you had best be sitting down....they are pricey!!
This diagram look familiar?
Handle1.png

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You have a 1988 motor. Go to shop.evinrude.com and look your motor up.I was just there and it looks like all parts are available. Look at post # 4. Same break down.

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm happy to have a motor that's 8 years younger than I thought it was but I'm at a loss as to how to get 1988.
E8RCCS I interpreted, according to page 2 as: E8 = Evinrude 8 hp; RC = Rope start - Commercial; BLANK = standard 15" shaft; CS = 8 0 = 1980
Granted there are no 8RCCS models listed on page 6 for either 1980 or 1988
All parts being available is the main concern either way though! Thank you!
Ahh! I just looked for 1988 in the parts section though and I see that model number pop up!
Whow! You weren't kidding about being pricey! I have some thinking to do! Thanks again.

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After talking with a few people at work, it turns out 2 recommended the same guy to have a look at it, a small commercial shop about a mile away. I took it in and after looking at it for about 5 minutes he said it'd be about half an hour's work, plus for a kit to replace everything on the 'arm', it'd be about $25! I left the motor with him! If this works, someone's looking after me! Thanks all!