replacement oil hose for a 2000, 90 HP Johnson?

jplomeo

Cadet
Hi,
I need to replace a cracking oil feed hose going from the oil reservoir tank on the boat to the oil/fuel pump (VRO-OMS) on a 2000, 90 HP Johnson outboard, Model # J90PLSS.

Can I use a good quality, A1 rated gasoline fuel line for the oil (1/4 Inner ID as the current one) instead of paying $ 6 a foot for the OMC brand oil hose? Can a cracking oil line cause excessive oil consumption -i.e. smoking at all speeds? I know about possible fuel line leaks or air leaks causing excess smoke and am also replacing all fuel lines (13 years old) with new A1 hoses, inline filter at engine and spin on water separator filer, etc.

Thank You for any advice

JP

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There are fuel lines rated for OB usage, by the USCG. I would think that is what you would want to use. Excessive oil consumption on that motor can be from an air leak into the gasoline line. Check the main strainer under the airbox, for proper gasket and oring, as well as fittings on water separator and other fittings in the gasoline line.

jplomeo

Cadet
Thanks Chris,

That's my plan- replace all fuel lines and check & reseal & tighten all fittings in the gas and oil lines and then see if that fixes it.

Have a great holiday.