1984 Evinrude 115 starter/solenoid

JC612000

Seaman Apprentice
Trying to get this motor started. It's one of those that hasn't been run for "years". Inherited with boat from grandfather.

I've oiled the cylinders, and now I'm ready to give it a try, hooked up the battery to see if stater would turn the engine over, and it didn't. Spun, but would not engage flywheel.

Did lots of voltage checks according to my manual. Seems like the diagnosis is bad solenoid (no voltage on terminal from solenoid to stater),

My question is, if this is true then why does stater still "click" and turn? Could there also be a problem with the starter? I physically engaged the stater with the flywheel and the motor would barely turn over. I can turn the engine over using the flywheel, although not easily. I wouldn't expect it to be easy though.

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Try jumping straight to the starter, if thats ok then you can work back from there to solenoid and old cables. Old cables are often the cause.
When it starts check that the waters pumping out the telltale otherwise it cook. Also check the heads dont get too hot in case some thermostats are blocked.
Also check that its not missing as that could mean a dry cylinder from a blocked carb meaning no oils getting to wear its needed

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Do you know what a voltage drop test is? You attach your voltmeter leads across the suspect part and compare the voltage with what is expected. Specifically, connect the black voltmeter lead to the big post on the solenoid that leads to the starter, and the red lead to the opposite big post. Attempt to start the motor while watching the meter. A perfect solenoid will show zero volts. Few things are perfect, but more than a volt would be a suspect solenoid. Several volts, no doubt about it--bad one.

Lest you be confused, before you attempt to start it, the meter will show full battery volts across the solenoid posts, dropping to zero as soon as it clicks. Other faults in the circuit may fool you. What you do not want to see in this specific test is volts across the solenoid posts while trying to start it. Zero volts calls for further testing.

I suspect your problem is elsewhere. But test, don't guess.

JC612000

Seaman Apprentice
Bos - I have jumped straight to starter, same problem, no engagement of the flywheel, not enough torque to spin the flywheel when manually engaged. So I'm guessing I have a bad solenoid and since I applied 12 volts at the starter post and not able to spin the flywheel also means a bad starter?

F_R - I did all the recommended starter circuit checks, but don't think I did the voltage drop tests in the service manual. However, the solenoid shows 0 volts accross the solenoid posts with ignition on. This would mean bad solenoid right? I just read throught the manual again. It says for the voltage drop test, I should see not more than 0.2 volts while cranking. I guess this would be a confirmatory test.

Thank you all for the info.

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Change the sol.!!! Then remove the starter- disassemble & clean communitatir-brass / copper area only!! Lightly -with fine sandpaper!!. Reassemble & hook to a large battery charger!! test it!! Many times when an engine sits long! the contacts in sol & starter will corode. Ill also add - have u checked the inline fuse in red rubber connector on motors side????????????????

Last edited:

JC612000

Seaman Apprentice
thanks guys......ordered a solenoid today and a repair kit for the starter. Will let you know how it turns out. I appreciate the input. crossing my fingers that I can get this baby fired up soon!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

JC612000

Seaman Apprentice
Yes sir, tried two good batteries. Darn parts aren't shipping until next Monday.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Read my post #12. Aw, never mind, you went and bought a solenoid. Hey, maybe you do need one. I can't tell from the wording in your replies.

Fed

Commander
If the starter motor spins but the bendix doesn't rise up to the flywheel then you should clean & lube the bendix.

JC612000

Seaman Apprentice
Update: Received the brush kit and solenoid. installed new Solenoid and rebuilt the starter by cleaning up the armature (lightly wire brushed and chemical clean made for electrical components), emory cloth on the commutator, and installing new brushes. Reassembled and the starter barely would spin. Took apart and put back together twice with same result and then put in old brushes and it worked. What the heck? Guess brush kit was crap.

Proceeded to install new solenoid and starter with cleaned up armature. Once installed, I went to crank and.....nothing. No click, no nothing. So this of course is frustrating, I seemingly took a step backward. Went through voltage drop tests again and found out the fuse was now blown. Installed new fuse and starter engaged the flywheel and slowly turned the motor over, but not very good, sluggish and slow turning. Battery verified to be good.

FR - I did not need a Solenoid, but ordered one anyway. I realized that during one of the voltage drop tests, I was supposed to have the key switch off instead of on and this led to a mis-diagnosis. I should have paid more attention, oh well I have a new solenoid now.

Fed - I lubed up the bendix, it worked better on the second go round.

I believe my problem is the condition of the armature. It simply is no good. New starter on the way.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
To rebuild a starter correctly you need what is called a Growler to check the armature correctly. Rebuild shops have them.

JC612000

Seaman Apprentice
The only growler I own is the kind you put beer in šŸ˜œ. You can see in the pic, the armature is pretty bad. You can also perform resistance checks on the commutator bars. I tried his and didn't get good results. Time to just pony up and get a new starter.

JC612000

Seaman Apprentice
Put the new starter on. Still a little hard to turnover, but much better. Lubed up the cylinders and gave it a try this past weekend. She fired up after about 15 years of sitting!! Happy days, time to rebuild the lower unit, and carbs and pit new fuel line on. Clean her up and maybe some new paint. Video below

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Nice that it fired up. Have you done a compression test yet?

JC612000

Seaman Apprentice
Compression test next on the list, shouldn't be any issue with what I've seen this far.