Question about connecting throttle lever to throttle cable, Johnson 85.

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently got this pontoon boat with '78 Johnson outboard. I need to replace the throttle cable (a piece of it broke) and realize it had been cobbled together a bit in the past.

The hole in the throttle lever (1st photo) appears to be about 3/8" diameter. The hole in the throttle cable itself is more like 1/4" in diameter.

I expect what I have here is a mix-and-match of several different years/styles of engine, cable, controls.

Or maybe I'm just missing some bushing or pin or adapter to connect the two?

When I took it apart, it had a bolt and nut holding it together (with LOTS of slop) and I know that's not right. (Actually, I expect that's what we see happening with the shift lever/cable in the first photo above, also.)

Any pointers on the remedy for this (maybe I just need to order the cable correctly?) would be appreciated. I can get any photos necessary to help you help me ;).

Thanks,
Clem

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Simple you need an older style cable.-----NOT a " snap in " cable.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Simple you need an older style cable.-----NOT a " snap in " cable.

That is exactly true. The cables were changed from "Long Life" to "Snap In" in 1979. (Or Teleflex 400 to 479). Your control is a pre-1979, needing Long Life (400) cables.

But it isn't that simple. Pre-1979 cables come without the ends, which must be purchased separately. Not only that, you need the associated clamps & stuff to hold the ends on. This applies to both ends of the cables. Finally, there is a plastic pin that goes through the cable end and that 3/8" hole. It is part number 319821 Trunnion Cap.

All this is shown in the pre-1979 remote control parts lists.

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the info,

I expect I may have a problem at the other end, however. Here's a photo of the linkage at the other end. Will an older cable work here?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Yes, it will. But again, it comes without the end (called a casing guide) and attaching hardware.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
If you have an issue finding the associated bits for the earlier style cable locally, drop me a PM as I may have them in the junk drawer...

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well...I think I'm just going to get a new style cable and some flanged plastic bushings. Seems easier than rounding up the non-standard (speaking from an industrial hardware standpoint) adapters and such.

I'm not sure what parts breakdowns are referenced above. I can't find anything on the iBoats store. Not saying it isn't there, but if I can't find it, it might as well not be there.

Thanks for the help, folks!

Clem