1984 60hp Johnson will not turn off.

lmbr

Seaman
My 1984 Johnson 60 hp runs great. Problem is when I turn the key off it won't stop. Putt the emergency stop, still won't stop. Checked the key switch wiring all OK. The red black wire has 12 V when key is on, 0 V when off. I believe this is what it is supposed to be. Only way I can stop it is by pulling both spark plug wires. (It will still run with only one disconnected.) Or I can disconnect the fuel line and let it run out of gas. Never expected to have a problem with the motor not stopping. Can't find anyone who has ever had this problem.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
The black/yellow wire coming out of the power pack is what stops the motor when grounded. Check that wire all the way up to the ignition switch to make sure there's not an open in it.

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If pulling the two spark plug wires will stop the engine then you are producing fire to the spark plug wires. Sounds like there's a wire incorrectly connected somewhere.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Also possible the key switch or power pack is bad...check the wiring first-follow boobies's suggestion.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
And yes, I have also seen a power pack do this. Can be checked with an ohmmeter.