Fuel won't pump out of tank into bulb

supercoolbabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The 15hp Evinrude 1976 I recently purchased ran great until air got in the gas line. After replacing the gas can, all fittings, bulb, all new fuel lines, new fuel pump, cleaned the carburetor I still can't get gas to pump out of can. When I squeeze bulb air goes into tank but doesn't suck any fuel out. . All lines clear. I don't know what else it could be.

Last edited:

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do you have the bulb installed with the arrow pointing toward the motor. If so, maybe got a bad one(Walmart???)

Tnstratofam

Commander
Take off the quick connect and insert the line directly into the tank. This will eliminate the tank internals as well as the quick connect. If it still wont pick up gas check your bulb. Like stated above just because it's new doesn't mean it works.

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you can pump air into the tank the bulb is working. It does sound like you got the bulb backwards.

supercoolbabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No the bulb is not backwards the arrow points to the motor. I have tried 3 different bulbs. I have pointed it upwards. Any more ideas

Rick.

Captain
Could be the bulb is stamped wrong. I'm kidding. Did you do as tnstratofam suggested. That will eliminate a few potential problems. Best of luck. Rick.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
do a blow test forget the arrows air must flows in direction of the motor not the other way

any obstructions motor side ofthe pump ?? do a blow test towards the carb...air should flow tothe carb on an emptybarb fuel bowl

as suggested open the tank cap try to pump gaz directly by removing the connector tank side ,

check the pick up in the tank for dirt

Last edited:

supercoolbabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK. Update. I got the fuel flowing to the fuel pump but it does not come out. When motor ran there was air in the line between the fuel pump and carburetor at first then it didn't have any air for about 3 minutes then the air returned. Now can't get gas past the fuel pump. It is a new pump but it could be faulty?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Read your thread title and sort out the bulb issue.
What new fittings did you buy and equally important....where did you get them?