1987 Evinrude 100hp outboard with Starter problem. Maybe wired wrong?

tuggeyt

Seaman Apprentice
Ok made a thread to ID my outboard now that I know its a 87 100hp evinrude on to the next problem.
I got the motor and boat at a great deal due to what the guy thought was a bad starter and bad tilt/trim.
The tilt/trim needed fluid and wasn't grounded so was a easy fix.
However being that he couldn't id that, I was thinking maybe the starter was fine and he miss diagnosed it or wired something wrong.
He said when it went bad he was out on the water. Thought it was the solenoid so he replaced it but that didn't fix it.
So what I was hoping/thinking is maybe the starter is fine and it was something else.
There was 2 batteries on the boat but they are both dead and maybe it was a bad battery/ bad ground or wire.
He took the starter off after replacing the solenoid. I attached it back and put the power wire to the starter
and all I get is a loud click coming from the solenoid. Just one loud click when you first turn the key.
Also there is a electrical plug that doesn't connect to anything and a loose wire not connected to anything.
I took a few pictures of everything in hopes someone who is familiar can look it over and let me know if they spot anything.
Top of the solenoid is connected to battery... bottom is connected to starter... What if these are backwards?
Not sure if it matters or makes a difference, was hoping I don't have to buy a starter.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
There is an easy way to test just the starter when it's mounted on the engine. Get a battery that is known to be well charged and a set of automotive jumper cables. Connect the battery direct to the starter with the jumper cables. If the starter cranks normally once connected, it's probably ok. You are sure the solenoid is new-just replaced-that's good. Another problem could be the key switch. They do go bad, esp if they get any water in them. I could not get any of the pictures to load.

tuggeyt

Seaman Apprentice
loaded the pictures again... Will try the battery thing.... What about the loose wires?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
That electrical plug looks like the one that went to the VRO.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The last pic of the loose wire goes to one of the two temp switches- one on each head. The wire is brown and the knife connector is clearly visible. Looks like the wire pulled out of the switch-it's still probably in the head.

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
tuygeyt looks like the starter mou:joyous:nting bolts arent tight or the wrong one, anyway i would take starter off and clean mounting surfaces to a shinning metal and tighten them and ground wire. good luck:joyous:

tuggeyt

Seaman Apprentice
emdsapmgr - tested the starter with a battery and cables like you said.... I connected the cables to the battery then put the ground on the ground on the starter.
Then I touched the positive to it and it spun but didn't move up or down... Tried to do it again and would get no movement at all... checked connections and they were all good... battery is good.... tried a few times but got no motion or sounds again other than the first initial spin...
Should I go ahead and order the starter?

tblshur - He had the starter off and I put it back on. I took pictures before I tightened it down.

boobie - Good call on the VRO I think it is disconnected and he used 2 stroke gas.

Will have to check about the brown wire..

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You might want to consider rebuilding the starter yourself. Usually the brushes need replacing. Bombardier sells a brush kit for the starter. 385952 Under $25. When you get it apart, check the commutator for burns, cleanliness. Most of the time it's ok. Remove all the carbon from the inside of the starter. Relube with some Merc. 2-4-C grease or any white lithium grease. Reassemble. Would be an inexpensive alternative to a new one.

tuggeyt

Seaman Apprentice
With the brushes gone would the starter be completely dead?
Played with it again today and with good charged battery I hooked jumpers to it and got nothing again...
Tried to hook the battery up normal and turn the key and still just the loud click from the solenoid.

Also the brown wire does not go to the temp switch... Both are still connected.
Cant find anything that's missing a wire.. Its not a knife connector on the end of it. Just electrical tape..
If you look at the last picture I posted you can see the wire is 2 different ones connected.
1 half is black which is the half that doesn't connect to anything and is covered with electrical tape.
The other half is the brownish color that just goes in the wiring harness.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Might as well bite the bullet and repair or replace the starter motor.