Back in Time- 1968 Evinrude 85 HO

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
These engines had whats callrd an="Amplifier" Ignition box on the rear area. These =as memory tries to tell me ??=were not a CD type ignition yet were amplified Ignition boxes. Triggered to fire = by the points. What has been done to replace these boxes? whats available or can be wired in to work??

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Exactly, CD stands for Capacitor Discharge. "Amplifier" refers to the fact that it takes 12 volts from the battery and steps it up (amplifies) it to around 300 volts to store in the capacitor. When the points open, it signals the amplifier to discharge that 300V through the coil, which by induction increases it to whatever it takes to fire the plug.

Lots of people have tried various ways to change it to something else. When somebody reports total long term success, I'll listen and pass it on.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I've heard of making a battery ignition out of it with an automotive coil and a condenser wired in in the system and they got rid of the amplifier.

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanx Boobie!! Thats what i was hoping for -any info on how done?? Who did that??

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Can't remember who did it but if you know how the ignition systems worked on cars in the 60's they wired them the same way using the breaker points that were already on the motor. Then they added a condenser and an automotive coil and did away with the amplifier and the coil on the motor. Heard reports they ran okay but had to use different plugs than what were called for.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
The 67 100-horse started using the CD ignition, followed by the smaller V4s for 1968. For 1968 the 60 went to 65 horses, the 80 went to 85 horses. Between the higher compression, the CD ignition and the switch to surface gap plugs they made more power and resisted fowling.
For 1969 the V4s were totally new with a new look, new midsection & lower unit. The smallest V4 was eliminated.