1968 Johnson 9.5.... turtle

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I got a 9.5 Johnson.... The turtle #mq-14
Picked it up, no action at all. I've cleaned the fuel system all the way to the carb. As far as I can tell the carb is clean as a whistle. Good clean gas sitting in the bowl. Started out that it would only start when sprayed. Now I can get up to 30 sec running with it fully choked/closed. I'm thinking maybe the idle is off or there is still something in the carb stopping gas completely getting in because when I squeeze the primer bulb gas squirts out of a vent towards the top of the carb. I have gas in the carb and I have fire. Compression is 55lb per cylinder. What should I look into next?!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No need to panic.--------Clean the carburetor again.----Did you remove the high speed jet for cleaning.----And will spark jump a gap of at least 1/4" or more , yes or no.----No need to answer this with " I have good spark "

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Gas leaking out of the carb when you squeeze the ball indicates a problem with the needle and seat assembly. You could also have an issue with the float being heavy with gasoline having been absorbed into the cork material. See if it floats in gasoline.

Running only with the choke closed indicates a clogged main jet.

External cleaning of the carburetor really does nothing. It needs to come apart and each and every passage cleaned with carburetor cleaner.

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Love these squat little motors, I've got 3 of them. I'm with racerone on this, make sure your main jet is good and clean. If you're squeezing the bulb when it's already firm I've noticed a port next to the intake that will relieve the pressure.

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Gas leaking out of the carb when you squeeze the ball indicates a problem with the needle and seat assembly. You could also have an issue with the float being heavy with gasoline having been absorbed into the cork material. See if it floats in gasoline.

Running only with the choke closed indicates a clogged main jet.

External cleaning of the carburetor really does nothing. It needs to come apart and each and every passage cleaned with carburetor cleaner.

You think a good overnight soak would do?